How Is the Ascension Rate of a Helium Balloon Calculated?

In summary, the ascension rate of a helium balloon is calculated by taking into account the volume of the balloon, the weight of the balloon and its payload, and the density of the surrounding air. This information is used to determine the net lifting force of the balloon, which is then divided by the total weight to determine the rate at which the balloon will ascend. Factors such as temperature and altitude can also affect the ascension rate of a helium balloon.
Imustthink
How do I find the accelerating ascension rate of my helium balloon?
Ignore factors such as the increase of volume as it ascends, temperature, wind etc.
I just want the basic ascension rate of ideal non changing conditions.

rho_f Outside air density - I think typical air density is this - 1.2 kg/m^3

v Volume - 179.59438 m^3

m Mass - 90.7184 kg

g Earth's gravity - 9.80665 m/s^2

Through some research I have been given this formula but am not sure if its the correct one or how to compute it.

a = g*(rho_f * V - m)/(rho_f*V + m)

And also this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy#Beyond_Archimedes_Principle

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not possible to calculate the exact ascension rate of a helium balloon under ideal, non-changing conditions without taking into account factors such as temperature, wind, etc. The ascension rate of a helium balloon is affected by these variables and thus cannot be accurately calculated.

Related to How Is the Ascension Rate of a Helium Balloon Calculated?

1. What is the ascension rate of a balloon?

The ascension rate of a balloon refers to how quickly the balloon rises in altitude. This can vary depending on factors such as the size and shape of the balloon, the weight of the payload, and the atmospheric conditions.

2. How is the ascension rate of a balloon calculated?

The ascension rate of a balloon is typically calculated by measuring the time it takes for the balloon to rise a certain distance, and then using this information to determine the rate of ascent. Other factors, such as the volume of gas inside the balloon and the weight of the payload, may also be taken into account.

3. What affects the ascension rate of a balloon?

Several factors can affect the ascension rate of a balloon, including the size and shape of the balloon, the weight of the payload, the amount of gas inside the balloon, and the atmospheric conditions. Wind speeds and directions, as well as temperature and air pressure, can also impact the rate of ascent.

4. Why is the ascension rate of a balloon important?

The ascension rate of a balloon is important because it can affect the success of the balloon's mission. For example, if the balloon rises too quickly, it may not reach the desired altitude or may burst due to the change in pressure. On the other hand, if the ascent rate is too slow, the balloon may not reach the desired altitude in time or may drift off course.

5. How can the ascension rate of a balloon be controlled?

The ascension rate of a balloon can be controlled by adjusting the amount of gas inside the balloon, as well as the weight of the payload. Other factors, such as the shape and size of the balloon, can also be modified to influence the rate of ascent. Additionally, monitoring and adjusting the balloon's trajectory using real-time data can help control the ascension rate during the flight.