How Is the Area of a Floating Slab Calculated Using Buoyancy Principles?

• Thread starter walker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the question discusses using Archimedes' principle to find the area of a plastic slab floating in fresh water with a swimmer resting on it. By setting the buoyancy force equal to the weight of the swimmer and slab, an equation is formed where the density of water, gravitational constant, and height can be substituted in for the unknown area. Another equation is then formed using the density, height, and unknown area, and by setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for area, the final answer is found to be equal to the combined mass of the swimmer and slab divided by the density of fresh water and height.
walker
Question is: A plastic slab has a thickness of h and a density p_s . when a swimmer of mass m is resting on it, the slab floats in fresh water with its top at the same level as the water surface. find the area of the slab. give your answer in terms of density of water p_w , p_s , h and m

so what I've done is used achimedes principle where all forces are in equilibrium. that is B = Mg

M being the mass of the swimmer and slab of plastic combined

so by setting this equation equal to the buoyancy force in terms of pressure I get: Mg = p_w*g*V where p_w is the density of fresh water and since V equals h*A I can sub for V and get Mg = p_w*g*h*A then i can just solve for A but the answer A = M/(p_w*h) doesn't use all the terms given in the question. am i just reading into the question too much or am i missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got an answer by setting up two equations:

find a statement for the mass of the slab using its density, h and the unknown area.

Find another statement for the mass of the slab using the equation you have above (but call the combined mass "M+m" with M being the mass of the slab).

With two terms for the mass of the slab, set them equal to each other so that M goes away. Then do some algebraic gymnastics and you get an answer with the proper variables.

Your approach using Archimedes' principle is correct. You have correctly identified that the buoyancy force (p_w*g*V) is equal to the weight of the swimmer and slab (Mg). However, your final answer of A = M/(p_w*h) is missing the density of the plastic slab (p_s). The correct answer should be A = M/(p_s - p_w)*h. This takes into account the fact that the buoyancy force is equal to the difference between the densities of the object and the surrounding fluid. So, the final answer should include all the terms given in the question.

Related to How Is the Area of a Floating Slab Calculated Using Buoyancy Principles?

1. How does buoyancy work?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will float, and if it is more dense, it will sink.

2. What factors affect an object's buoyancy?

The density of the object and the density of the fluid are the main factors that affect an object's buoyancy. Other factors include the volume of the object, the depth of the fluid, and the presence of other forces such as gravity or air resistance.

3. How is buoyancy related to Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle helps to explain why objects float or sink in a fluid.

4. Can the buoyancy of an object change?

Yes, the buoyancy of an object can change depending on the density of the fluid it is placed in. For example, an object that floats in freshwater may sink in saltwater because saltwater is denser.

5. How does buoyancy play a role in the design of ships and submarines?

Buoyancy is a crucial factor in the design of ships and submarines. These vessels are designed to displace a certain amount of water to achieve buoyancy and float. They can control their buoyancy by changing their weight or volume to move up or down in the water.