How Is Tension Calculated in a Helicopter Rescue Operation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a helicopter rescuing an injured snowboarder with a cable and harness. The question asks for the tension in the cable if both the snowboarder and helicopter are accelerating upward at 1.5 m/s2. The conversation includes a free-body diagram and the correct equation to solve the problem, with the final answer being 1994.8N. The participant is seeking confirmation on their approach to the problem.
D. Tran
1. "A 2800 kg helicopter with a cable and harness is rescuing an injured snowboarder. The harness and snowboarder weigh 1730 N."

The question is asking for the "tension in the cable if the snowboarder and helicopter accelerate upward at 1.5 m/s2."

2. ∑Fy=may=T-

Is the equation (above) correct? What am I missing?

3. I already drew a free-body diagram at constant acceleration. With the modified equation (fitted to the problem), I plugged in the following variables:

∑Fy=T-WS=mSay
WS=1730 N
mS=176.5 kg
ay=1.5 m/s2
∑Fy=T=(176.5)(1.5)+1730N=1994.8N (final answer)

I do not know if I am doing the problem correctly. I need guidance with the problem.

Thank you for your time and help.

-D. Tran

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
D. Tran said:
1. "A 2800 kg helicopter with a cable and harness is rescuing an injured snowboarder. The harness and snowboarder weigh 1730 N."

The question is asking for the "tension in the cable if the snowboarder and helicopter accelerate upward at 1.5 m/s2."

2. ∑Fy=may=T-

Is the equation (above) correct? What am I missing?

3. I already drew a free-body diagram at constant acceleration. With the modified equation (fitted to the problem), I plugged in the following variables:

∑Fy=T-WS=mSay
WS=1730 N
mS=176.5 kg
ay=1.5 m/s2
∑Fy=T=(176.5)(1.5)+1730N=1994.8N (final answer)

I do not know if I am doing the problem correctly. I need guidance with the problem.

Thank you for your time and help.

-D. Tran

The Attempt at a Solution

Looks real good, nice work, and you avoided the temptation to factor in the helicopter's mass. Welcome to PF!

I would like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem and providing a detailed explanation of your steps. Your approach seems to be correct, and your final answer of 1994.8N for the tension in the cable appears to be reasonable.

One thing that you may want to consider is the sign convention for the forces. Since the snowboarder and the helicopter are accelerating upwards, the tension in the cable and the weight of the snowboarder should both be positive forces. This means that your equation should be written as:

∑Fy = T + WS = mS * ay

Plugging in the values, we get:
∑Fy = T + 1730N = (176.5kg) * (1.5m/s^2)

Solving for T, we get:
T = (176.5kg) * (1.5m/s^2) - 1730N = 1994.8N

This is the same answer that you obtained, but with a slightly different sign convention. In physics, it is important to consistently use positive and negative signs to indicate the direction of the forces.

Overall, your approach and calculations seem to be correct. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Is Tension Calculated in a Helicopter Rescue Operation?

1. What is non-equilibrium dynamics?

Non-equilibrium dynamics refers to the study of systems that are not in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. These systems are constantly changing and evolving, and their behavior cannot be described by traditional thermodynamic laws.

2. How does non-equilibrium dynamics differ from equilibrium dynamics?

In equilibrium dynamics, a system is in a state of balance and there is no net flow of energy or matter. Non-equilibrium dynamics, on the other hand, involves systems that are constantly changing and exchanging energy and matter with their surroundings.

3. What are some examples of non-equilibrium systems?

Some examples of non-equilibrium systems include chemical reactions, biological processes, and weather patterns. These systems are constantly changing and their behavior is affected by external factors.

4. What are some techniques used to study non-equilibrium dynamics?

Some techniques used to study non-equilibrium dynamics include computer simulations, mathematical modeling, and experimental methods such as laser spectroscopy and ultrafast imaging. These techniques allow scientists to observe and analyze the behavior of non-equilibrium systems.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding non-equilibrium dynamics?

Understanding non-equilibrium dynamics has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It can help us design more efficient chemical reactions, develop new materials, and better understand complex biological processes. It also has implications for climate science and the study of natural phenomena such as earthquakes and hurricanes.