How is square root calculated?

In summary, a square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. It is represented by the symbol √ and can be calculated using various methods. Finding the square root of a number is different from squaring a number, which involves multiplying the number by itself. The square root of a negative number is not a real number, as a negative number multiplied by itself always results in a positive number.
w3tw1lly
Just bored and decided I want to make my own little calculator on my computer. What is the method for finding the square root of an input number?

Technology news on Phys.org
To find the sqrt of a

x'=(a/x+x)/2

iterate.

Have fun.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Sorry it was such a bad question:shy:.

Last edited:

Related to How is square root calculated?

What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 multiplied by 5 equals 25.

How is the square root symbol written?

The square root symbol is a radical sign (√) placed in front of the number. For example, √25 is the square root of 25.

How do you calculate the square root of a number?

The square root of a number can be calculated by finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. This can be done using long division, a calculator, or by using a mathematical formula.

What is the difference between finding the square root and squaring a number?

Finding the square root of a number involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. Squaring a number involves multiplying the number by itself. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, while squaring 5 gives you 25.

Can you calculate the square root of a negative number?

No, the square root of a negative number is not a real number. This is because a negative number multiplied by itself will always result in a positive number, so there is no real number that can be multiplied by itself to get a negative number.