How Is Mutual Inductance Calculated Between Coaxial Solenoids?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of mutual inductance between two solenoids of different lengths and number of coils. Two equations are given for this purpose, but it is noted that the first equation may be incorrect due to the significant difference in length between the two solenoids. The second method, which uses the area of the inner solenoid to calculate the flux, is deemed more accurate and yields the correct answer. The concept of linking flux between the two solenoids is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a request for further clarification on this concept.
McLaren Rulez

Homework Statement

One solenoid is centered inside another, The outer one has a length of 50cm and has 6750 coils, while the coaxial inner solenoid is 3cm long and 0.12cm in diameter and contains 15 coils. What is the mutual inductance of these solenoids?

Homework Equations

M=N1[tex]\phi[/tex]1/I2

M=N2[tex]\phi[/tex]2/I1

Note: 1 refers to the outer loop and 2 the inner loop.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used both the above equations. One way is to find the B1 due to the outer solenoid, multiply that B1 by the area of the inner solenoid to get the flux through coil of the inner solenoid, [tex]\phi[/tex]2. Then use the second equation. But that answer which is (2.8*10^-7)H is incorrect.

Then I tried multiplying B2 with the area of the inner solenoid again to get [tex]\phi[/tex]1. Then I used the first equation to get the answer which is (4.8*10^-6)H and this is correct.

Why is the first method wrong? This seems to be giving me two different values for the mutual inductance between two coils. Thank you for your help! If it helps, this is taken from the textbook University Physics by Young and Freedman. It is problem 30.43 in edition 12.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump! Can anyone shed some light please?

Yes. You are using formulas that don't apply to your problem.

One solenoid is very long while the other is very short. When you use the formula for the short solenoid, all of it's turns link with flux from the long solenoid. But the other formula has a huge number of turns. The flux from the distant turns of the long solenoid don't link the turns of the smaller solenoid.

Antiphon, thank you for replying.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by linking flux? I didn't quite get what you said.

Let me tell you what I am thinking. I don't understand why the flux from the distant turns matter here. Shouldn't it be that we simply look at the the number of turns per unit length of the outer solenoid and thus find the magnitude of the B field that it produces, then take the area of the inner solenoid to get the flux?

And on the same note, the method which yielded the correct answer seems rather wrong to me. The inner solenoid's flux looks like the image here, yes? (Please ignore the stupid fish that somehow got in here :D)

solenoidField.JPG

So if there's an outer solenoid around this guy that's stretching much further, wouldn't it be incorrect to say that the flux through the distant coils of the outer solenoid is the same as the flux through the nearby coils?

Can anyone please help? This is a freshman year problem after all. Thanks!

Related to How Is Mutual Inductance Calculated Between Coaxial Solenoids?

1. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated by dividing the magnetic flux through one coil (Φ1) by the current flowing through the other coil (I2), or by the change in current through the first coil (ΔI1) divided by the resulting change in flux through the second coil (ΔΦ2).

2. What factors affect mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is affected by the number of turns in each coil, the distance between the coils, the orientation of the coils, and the permeability of the materials in the coils.

3. How does mutual inductance impact the performance of a circuit?

Mutual inductance can cause unwanted coupling between circuits, leading to interference and distortion. However, it can also be used to create useful transformers and other devices.

4. Can mutual inductance be negative?

No, mutual inductance is always a positive value. Negative values may appear in calculations due to the direction of current or flux, but the actual mutual inductance is always positive.

5. How can mutual inductance be reduced?

Mutual inductance can be reduced by increasing the distance between the coils, using shielding materials, or by using parallel instead of series connections. It can also be minimized through careful design and arrangement of circuits.