How is momentum conserved in a Gauss Gun?

In summary, the Gauss Gun is a device that uses magnetic energy to accelerate steel balls to high velocities. However, while momentum is always conserved in this system, energy is not, as energy is drawn from the magnetic configuration to accelerate the balls. This can be seen as the balls require more work to be peeled off the magnets than they receive when they click onto the preceding ball. There may be confusion on whether momentum is conserved in this system, but it is important to note that even if energy is not conserved, momentum always is.
adrianowatson

Homework Statement

So for those who aren't familiar with the Gauss Gun here is a video demonstrating its function:

As you can see in the video, a steel ball is rolled towards a sequence of magnets and other steel balls and as the incoming ball strikes the magnet, the ball on the other end ejects at a higher velocity. NOTE: in the video there is recoil but in my case there isn't recoil as the magnet is stuck in place.

Homework Equations

Momentum is calculated by mass*velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

But this doesn't make sense to me as both the incoming and outgoing steel balls have the same mass but they travel at different velocities so when momentum is calculated, isn't the momentum different and means that momentum isn't conserved in this system?

Please clarify this for me as I've been struggling with this concept for quite a while and can't get my head around it. I would also like to have an equation for showing the conservation of momentum for multiple variations of this setup.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Adriano, :welcome:

Did you read some of the explanations ? Anything unclear :smile: ?

BvU said:
Hello Adriano, :welcome:

Did you read some of the explanations ? Anything unclear :smile: ?

Hi, I've come across this website before and just gives explanations to do with Kinetic Energy and not momentum. I'm specifically asking how momentum is conserved in this system.

Thanks!

Momentum is not conserved: energy is drawn from the magnetic configuration and used to accelerate the balls (just before they bump into the magnet).

Look at it this way:
To reload, you must do mechanical work: exercise force to peel the sticking balls back from the magnets. To peel it off is more work than you get back when it ckicks onto the preceding ball again (becasue it's further from the magnet by 1 ball diameter). That's exactly what the link tells you.

BvU said:
Momentum is not conserved: energy is drawn from the magnetic configuration and used to accelerate the balls (just before they bump into the magnet).

Look at it this way:
To reload, you must do mechanical work: exercise force to peel the sticking balls back from the magnets. To peel it off is more work than you get back when it ckicks onto the preceding ball again (becasue it's further from the magnet by 1 ball diameter). That's exactly what the link tells you.

Oh right I see, so momentum isn't conserved in this system?

I've looked at many other websites on this and some say momentum is conserved so I'm quite confused.

I stand corrected... (had looked at the next video where the magnets were 'fixed' in place and never gave it a second thought). o:)

Related to How is momentum conserved in a Gauss Gun?

1. What is a Gauss Gun?

A Gauss Gun, also known as a coilgun or a railgun, is a type of projectile accelerator that uses electromagnetic forces to launch a projectile at high speeds.

2. How does a Gauss Gun work?

A Gauss Gun works by using a series of electromagnetic coils or rails to accelerate a projectile. The first coil or rail creates a magnetic field, which attracts the projectile and pulls it forward. As the projectile moves forward, it enters the next coil or rail, which is energized to create a stronger magnetic field and further accelerate the projectile. This process continues until the projectile reaches the end of the gun and is launched at high speeds.

3. How is momentum conserved in a Gauss Gun?

Momentum is conserved in a Gauss Gun through the principle of action and reaction. As the projectile is accelerated forward, an equal and opposite force is applied to the coils or rails, pushing them backwards. This reaction force balances out the momentum of the projectile, resulting in a net momentum of zero and obeying the law of conservation of momentum.

4. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in a Gauss Gun?

The conservation of momentum in a Gauss Gun can be affected by several factors, including the strength and timing of the electromagnetic fields, the mass and velocity of the projectile, and any external forces acting on the gun.

5. Are there any limitations to the conservation of momentum in a Gauss Gun?

While the conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics, it is not always perfectly preserved in real-world situations. Factors such as friction, air resistance, and imperfections in the gun's design can result in some loss of momentum. However, these effects are often minimal in a well-designed and functioning Gauss Gun.