Trying to learn QED are my assumptions correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mass, momentum, velocity, and time, and how it relates to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. It also touches on the concepts of probability amplitudes and interactions between light and matter, as well as the use of metaphorical language in discussing these complex ideas. The speaker seeks clarification on their logical reasoning and any incorrect assumptions they may be making.
sharpstones
When mass is constant, momentum is a function of velocity and velocity is a function of time. So would it be incorrect to say that the more precise your time measurement (or the smaller timeframe you are looking at) the more uncertainty in the position of the particle a la Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? And if it is a correct assumption is my line of reasoning correct then?

Moving from there, through Quantum Mechanics it is established that an electron moving from one place to another, has certain probability amplitudes applied to all the possible routes it could take to go from point A to point B.

QED on the other hand, deals specifically with the interactions between light and matter. So because these interactions happen on such a small time scale is this why we cannot disregard such weird probability amplitudes as electrons moving backwards in time, photons moving instantaneously from one spot to another, etc?

I am very much interested in whether my logic is applied in the right direction at all. If there are any assumptions I’m making that are incorrect please tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
"backwards in time"

Of some help might be this tidbit from Zee's book on field theory:

Did I speak of an electron going backward in time? Did I mumble something about a sea of negative energy electrons? This metaphorical language, when used by brilliant minds, the likes of Dirac and Feynman, was evocative and inspirational, but unfortunately confused generations of physics students and physicists. The presentation given here is in the modern spirit, which seeks to avoid these potentially confusing metaphors.

Your assumptions about the relationship between mass, momentum, velocity, and time are correct. However, your reasoning about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is not entirely accurate.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This is not due to the precision of time measurement, but rather a fundamental property of particles at the quantum level. The more precisely we measure one of these properties, the less precisely we can measure the other.

In regards to your question about QED, it is important to note that probability amplitudes are not the same as actual paths or trajectories that particles take. They are mathematical representations of the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a certain time.

Furthermore, QED does not necessarily involve particles moving backwards in time or photons moving instantaneously. These ideas may arise in certain mathematical calculations, but they are not physical realities. QED is a well-established theory that accurately describes the interactions between light and matter.

In summary, while your assumptions about mass, momentum, velocity, and time are correct, your reasoning about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and QED may need some clarification. It is important to continue learning and seeking clarification on these complex concepts in order to fully understand them.

1. What is QED and why is it important?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, and it is a theory that describes the interactions between light and matter at a subatomic level. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles, and it has been extensively tested and proven to be accurate.

2. What are the assumptions involved in learning QED?

The main assumption in learning QED is that the laws of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism apply at the subatomic level. This means that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior and can interact through the exchange of photons.

3. How do I know if my assumptions are correct?

The best way to ensure that your assumptions are correct is to study and understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. You can also consult with experts in the field and conduct experiments to test your assumptions.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about QED?

One common misconception about QED is that it is a complete theory of everything. While it is a powerful and accurate theory, it only describes the interactions between light and matter and does not account for other fundamental forces such as gravity.

5. What are some resources for learning QED?

There are many resources available for learning QED, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures from experts in the field. Some recommended resources include "Quantum Electrodynamics" by Richard Feynman, "Introduction to Quantum Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and lectures from MIT OpenCourseWare and the Perimeter Institute.