How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated in the Photoelectric Effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of ionization in a hydrogen atom, with a photon of 15.2 eV entering and causing the electron to be ejected from the atom. The use of the Photoelectric Effect equations and conservation of energy can be used to determine the kinetic energy of the ejected electron.
whoopie88

Homework Statement

A photon with an energy of 15.2 eV enters a hydrogen atom in the ground state and ionizes it. With what kinetic energy will the electron be ejected from the atom?

Homework Equations

Photoelectric Effect equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

E=W+KE

I don't understand how to find the Kinetic Energy with the information I'm given. I need to understand this by tomorrow, so can someone please explain it to me and walk me through the problem ASAP?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy is all you need. At the beginning, you have a 15.2 eV photon and a second electron in the ground state (what's its energy?). At the end, the photon has been absorbed and all you have is one free electron.

yes, the electron is bound to the proton with a certain energy. you must supply this much to break it free, any extra goes to KE of the electron.

Related to How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated in the Photoelectric Effect?

1. What is the photoelectric effect problem?

The photoelectric effect problem refers to the observation that electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light. This phenomenon cannot be explained by classical physics and was a major puzzle that led to the development of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when a photon of light with enough energy strikes a metal surface, causing an electron to be ejected from the surface. This is because the energy of the photon is transferred to the electron, giving it enough energy to overcome the attractive force of the metal's atoms.

3. What is the threshold frequency in the photoelectric effect?

The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light required to cause the emission of electrons from a metal surface. Below this frequency, no electrons will be emitted regardless of the intensity of the light.

4. How does the photoelectric effect support the particle nature of light?

The photoelectric effect supports the particle nature of light because it shows that light behaves as individual packets of energy (photons) rather than a continuous wave. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and this energy is transferred to the electrons in the metal surface, causing them to be emitted.

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has significant implications in modern technology, including solar cells, photodiodes, and digital cameras. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, leading to a better understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic level.