How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated in a Rolling Sphere on a Ramp?

In summary, the problem involves a 2.7kg solid sphere rolling without slipping down a ramp with a height of 0.5m and a length of 5.4m. The goal is to find the rotational and translational kinetic energy of the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the ramp. Using the equations for rotational and translational kinetic energy, we can set them equal to the total kinetic energy (which is equal to the potential energy at the top of the ramp) of 13.2435J and solve for the individual kinetic energies. The equation E(pot.)=E(rotational)+E(kinetic) can be used to find the angular velocity and then plug that into the equation for rotational kinetic energy
eagles12

Homework Statement

A 2.7kg solid sphere (radius .2m) is released from rest at the top of a ramp and allowed to roll without slipping. The ramp is .5m high and 5.4 long.
When the sphere reaches the bottom of the ramp what is the rotational kinetic energy and the translational kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

krotf=1/2(2/5mr^2)wf^2
ktransf=1/2mvf^2

The Attempt at a Solution

krotf=1/2(2/5(2.7)(.2^2))wf^2
ktransf= 1/2(2.7)vf^2

Physics news on Phys.org
mg(.85)=Kf
Kf=13J

eagles12 said:
mg(.85)=Kf

what is .85 ? :confused:

i meant .5 but I already know that kf=13 is correct

ahhh! :rolleyes:

ok, you know the total KE is 13,

so add the formulas for the two KEs, use v = ωr, and put the whole thing equal to 13 :wink:

but how will that get me kinetic rotational and kinetic translational? i need each individually!

(just got up :zzz:)

write out the equations, and see how far you get :smile:

Hey,
According to the law of conservation of mechanic energy the potential energy of the sphere transforms into kinetic and rotational energy of the sphere if we ignore the resistive forces. Therefore kinetic energy+rotational energy should equal to mgh=9.81(m/s^2)*2.7kg*0.5m=13.2435J. I'd use the equation E(pot.)=E(rotational)+E(kinetic)...mgh=0.5*J*w^2+0.5*m*v^2 to solve for w if you need to calculate both energies individually. Maybe I thought it too complicated, but please let me know if you know a better solution. :smile:

Last edited:

Related to How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated in a Rolling Sphere on a Ramp?

What is "rolling without slipping"?

"Rolling without slipping" is a type of motion where an object, such as a wheel, rotates and translates at the same time without any slipping or sliding. This means that the point on the object's surface that is in contact with the ground is always at rest with respect to the ground.

How is "rolling without slipping" different from regular rolling?

In regular rolling, the object rotates and translates, but there is also some sliding or slipping between the object and the surface it is rolling on. In "rolling without slipping", there is no sliding or slipping, and the point of contact remains at rest with respect to the surface.

What are some examples of objects that exhibit "rolling without slipping"?

Some examples include a rolling ball, a rolling tire, or a rolling cylinder. Essentially, any object that has a circular shape and is rolling on a surface without any slipping or sliding can exhibit "rolling without slipping".

Why is "rolling without slipping" important in physics?

"Rolling without slipping" is important in physics because it allows us to analyze the motion of objects in a simplified way. By assuming that an object is rolling without slipping, we can use equations and principles from rotational motion and translational motion to understand its overall motion.

How can "rolling without slipping" be applied in real life?

Understanding "rolling without slipping" can help in designing and analyzing various machines and mechanisms, such as wheels, gears, and pulleys. It is also important in sports and activities that involve rolling objects, such as bowling, skating, and cycling.