How is calculus 1 over the summer?

In summary: It is crucial to be solid in algebra, trigonometry and geometry... if you want to do well in calculus.
Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Why calculus 1 over the summer bad? Is there something wrong with it? I really need to take it because, my dads university will only pay until I am 24. If I wait until fall to take calculus, that will set be back TWO more semesters.

I'm in a community college, and if I want to transfer I need to do it by fall 2017. I should be applying by fall 2016. Since Penn State has rolling admissions :)
Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
some professors and I have noticed that I do much better with one subject. So I don't think taking ONLY calculus will give me a lot of problems.
You have a hellofalotof work to do between now and the time when you take your summer-session Calculus course. Start reviewing NOW for "College Algebra" and Trigonometry - may take you 6 months; learn everything well in your review. Then, pre-study Calculus 1 on your own using whatever GOOD book you can find; and learn the material well or as well as you can, and with plenty of practice. Calc 1 on your own may take 5 or 6 months. Be sure that you cover ALL the topics that will be in the official Calculus 1 course that you plan on taking in the summer session, because no professor will care if you missed anything - they will just keep going expecting that you covered what is needed in your calc 1 course.
Now, you may be ready for trying the Calculus 1 course in the official summer session class.

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
If you really really want to make the course, then self-study it and make sure you understand everything before taking the course. That is in my opinion the only way to pass this course comfortably and be prepared for the new material that will follow later.
If you want suggestions, then just buy the calculus book that you will be using and work through it carefully.
EXACTLY!

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
i actually have some old calculus textbook. Should I start from there? Do I need some precalc background before I can read some of the topics?
Old books are often excellent. You can also use more than one for reassurance or for a different arranged wording or sequencing of a topic's presentation.

You MUST be strong in your intermediate algebra concepts and skills, and you absolutely MUST have had a Trigonometry course within the last 15 months and had earned no less than a B grade from it. Understand clearly, you must have your concepts and skills well maintained; course credit in the prerequisite algebra & trig by itself is meaningless.