How Is Average Acceleration Calculated for a Clock's Hour Hand Movement?

In summary, the average velocity of the tip of a 2.4-cm-long hour hand of a clock from 12p.m. to 6p.m. is -0.8 j cm/hr and the average acceleration is -0.42 i cm/hr^2. The hand moves at a constant speed and follows a curved path due to a change in direction.
ianperez

Homework Statement

What are the average velocity and average acceleration of the tip of the 2.4-cm-long hour hand of a clock in the interval from 12p.m. to 6p.m.

I'm given the displacement which is 4.8 cm.
I know the motion takes six hours
I set my x-axis at three-o-clock and my y-axis at 12

Homework Equations

Average velocity = displacement / change in time
Average acceleration = change in velocity / change in time

I

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I get for velocity agrees with the back of the book:

Avg Velocity = -0.8 j cm/hr

But I have no clue how they get an average acceleration of -0.42 i cm/hr2.
I don't understand why there would be an average acceleration if the hand moves at a constant speed. I understand that a change in direction changes acceleration, but I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ianperez. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Acceleration = (change in velocity of a point on the tip) / elapsed time

So you first need to determine magnitude and direction of the tip's velocity at the two times given.

If the tip experienced no acceleration, it would not follow a curved path.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it! Thank you!

The circumference is 4.8π so the velocity is 4.8π/12hrs=1.26cm/he
Vi= 1.26i + 0j
Vf = -1.26i + 0j
Acceleration = (change in velocity of a point on the tip) / elapsed time
A= -1.26-1.26 / 6hrs = -0.42cm/hr

looks good

I would first clarify the definition of average acceleration in this context. Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over a given time interval. In this case, the interval is from 12pm to 6pm, during which the hand moves from the 3 o'clock position to the 9 o'clock position. The hand does not move at a constant speed, but rather at a constant angular velocity. This means that the direction of the hand's motion is changing continuously, resulting in a non-zero average acceleration.

To calculate the average acceleration, we can use the formula: average acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. In this case, the change in velocity is equal to the final velocity (at 6pm) minus the initial velocity (at 12pm). Since the hand moves in a circular motion, we can use the formula for angular velocity to calculate the final and initial velocities. The final velocity is equal to 360 degrees / 6 hours = 60 degrees/hr. The initial velocity is equal to 0 degrees/hr. Therefore, the change in velocity is 60 degrees/hr.

Next, we need to convert this angular velocity to a linear velocity, using the formula: linear velocity = angular velocity * radius. In this case, the radius is equal to the length of the hour hand, which is 2.4 cm. Therefore, the linear velocity is equal to 60 degrees/hr * 2.4 cm = 144 cm/hr.

Finally, we can plug these values into the formula for average acceleration: average acceleration = (144 cm/hr - 0 cm/hr) / (6 hours - 0 hours) = 144 cm/hr / 6 hours = 24 cm/hr^2. This is the average acceleration in the x-direction. Since the hand is moving in a circular motion, there is also a component of acceleration in the y-direction, which can be calculated using the same method. The total average acceleration is then the vector sum of the x and y components, which gives us a value of -0.42 i cm/hr^2 + -0.8 j cm/hr^2, as given in the back of the book.

In summary, the hand may be moving at a constant speed, but it is also changing direction, resulting in a non-zero average acceleration. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of the problem.

Related to How Is Average Acceleration Calculated for a Clock's Hour Hand Movement?

1. What is a vector description of motion?

A vector description of motion is a way of describing the motion of an object using both magnitude and direction. It includes information such as the speed and direction of an object's movement.

2. How is velocity different from speed in vector description of motion?

In vector description of motion, velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only includes the magnitude of an object's motion.

3. Can you give an example of a vector description of motion?

One example of a vector description of motion is a car traveling at 60 miles per hour in a northeast direction. This includes both the speed (60 mph) and the direction (northeast) of the car's motion.

4. What is the importance of using vectors in describing motion?

Vectors allow for a more accurate and comprehensive description of motion, as they take into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's movement. This can be especially useful in situations where an object is changing direction or speed.

5. How can we represent vectors in a visual form?

Vectors can be represented visually using arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector. This is known as a vector diagram.