How Is Angular Momentum Calculated in a Pulley System?

In summary: Therefore, in this setup, the two weights will have the same velocities because they are connected by an inelastic cord and have the same acceleration due to gravity. In summary, the graph shown in the picture provided an expression for the acceleration of the pulleys. The angular momentum for the system was calculated and it was found that the only angular momentum present was in the pulley wheel. The weights have the same velocities due to being connected by an inelastic cord and having the same acceleration due to gravity.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

In the graph shown in the picture, an expression for the acceleration of the pulleys is obtained.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing i don't understand is, how do we find the angular momentum for the system? In class, I was told that the angular momentum for the system was:

Ltot = MvR + m1vR + m2vR

However, why do we pick the same velocities for the objects? (aren't they accelerating, and thus having different velocities?). As well, why do we choose the radius of the pulley for mass 1 and mass 2 to be that way? (isn't angular momentum calculated for objects in linear motion as the distance from the origin, which in this case is the axle of the pulley?).

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• phpyTLC3t.png
    phpyTLC3t.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 884
Physics news on Phys.org
Non-spinning objects traveling in straight lines have no angular momentum (AM). AM is the rotational equivalent of momentum, p = m v, so AM = I ω where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular speed ( radians / sec ). I think the only AM in the setup here is in the pulley wheel.

The weights have the same speed because the cord is inelastic.

Mentz114 said:
Non-spinning objects traveling in straight lines have no angular momentum (AM). AM is the rotational equivalent of momentum, p = m v, so AM = I ω where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular speed ( radians / sec ). I think the only AM in the setup here is in the pulley wheel.

The weights have the same speed because the cord is inelastic.

What does it mean by inelastic? So i suppose it's given in the problem? (What i thought was that the accelerations were the same). Moreover, I'm not sure on the angular momentum part. Can someone shed some light on this?

Mentz114 said:
Non-spinning objects traveling in straight lines have no angular momentum (AM).
This is not correct. Angular momentum depends on the reference point. An object moving in a straight line also has angular momentum about any reference point not in its line of travel. It's the product of the linear momentum and the orthogonal displacement. In this case, that distance is the radius of the wheel.

haruspex said:
This is not correct. Angular momentum depends on the reference point. An object moving in a straight line also has angular momentum about any reference point not in its line of travel. It's the product of the linear momentum and the orthogonal displacement. In this case, that distance is the radius of the wheel.

I'm sorry I misled the OP. I'm sufficiently embarassed to withdraw from homework helping for a while, so huruspex won't have to check and correct my attempts.:redface:

I have been revising this amd came to the conclusion that it's the radius as we are looking for rFsin0 (0 is the angle between r and F) so this is simply R. However, why are the velocities the same? In pulleys, wasn't acceleration the only constrained variable? (Or are we looking at an instant of time?)

fogvajarash said:
I have been revising this amd came to the conclusion that it's the radius as we are looking for rFsin0 (0 is the angle between r and F) so this is simply R. However, why are the velocities the same? In pulleys, wasn't acceleration the only constrained variable? (Or are we looking at an instant of time?)
If two objects start from rest at the same time and have the same accelerations at all times then they will have the same velocities at all times (and will have the same displacements at all times).

Related to How Is Angular Momentum Calculated in a Pulley System?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to pulleys?

In the context of pulleys, angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of the pulley itself. As the pulley rotates, it transfers angular momentum to the objects connected to it via the ropes or belts.

3. How does changing the number of pulleys affect angular momentum?

Adding more pulleys to a system can decrease the amount of force needed to lift an object, but it does not affect the total angular momentum of the system. The angular momentum remains constant unless an external torque is applied.

4. Can angular momentum be conserved in a pulley system?

Yes, angular momentum can be conserved in a pulley system as long as there is no external torque acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum before and after any pulley movement or rope tension changes will remain the same.

5. How do pulleys affect the direction of angular momentum?

Pulleys can change the direction of angular momentum in a system. When a rope or belt is wrapped around a pulley, the direction of the force applied to the pulley changes. This causes the angular momentum to change direction as well.