How important is it to buy textbooks for university courses?

In summary, the conversation is about whether it is worthwhile to spend money on textbooks for university courses. The person is entering their second year of university and has had different experiences with textbooks in their first year. They are unsure if they should buy textbooks for their upcoming courses in Vector Calculus, Engineering Computation, and Thermal and Classical Physics. They ask for recommendations on textbooks and receive advice to look at them in the library before purchasing. They also mention the high price of textbooks in their country and their intention to order them from the US.
rafehi
Hello all,

I'm entering my second year of university (Physics/mech engineering major) and am wondering whether it is worthwhile spending money on the textbooks?

In my first year, I found there were some subjects where I didn't touch the textbooks - primarily Calculus I and II (Calculus: Early Transcendentals by Anton, Bivis and Davies) and others where I couldn't have managed without the textbook (Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach by Knight).

I'll be buying the textbook for International Politics, as most of the material is from the book, however for my three Physics subjects, I'm not so sure.

First is Vector Calculus. We don't have any prescribed text, as we're given fairly detailed notes to through the subject. However, I found in Linear Algebra last semester that the notes weren't always detailed enough and I'd like to have a book handy to make sure I understand the material. The two reccomended textbooks are:
  • Vector Calculus, 4th edition by Marsden and Tromba
  • and Calculus of Several Variables, 4th edition by Adams
I'm reluctant to get either textbook, because going by reviews from Amazon, the first seems rather average and isn't recommended to someone learning the material for the first time, while I can't find a review of the second book anywhere, and I'm not willing to pay upwards of $150 dollars for it.

If anyone has ever encountered either of the books, would you recommend purchasing them? Is a textbook really necessary for maths, seeing as though I'm not majoring in it (that said, I'd like to learn the material and not just be able to regurgitate it for the exam)?

I've been wondering if it's a good idea to buy a different textbook on Vector Calculus? I'm sure that most textbooks will cover fairly similar material - for those more experienced than myself, it is smart to rely entirely on an alternate textbook to get you through the course? And if so, could somebody recommend me a good textbook for learning and understanding Vector Calculus?

Second subject is Engineering Computation. Seems like a simple subject - basically an introduction to programming (with a focus on mathematics). Not sure if I'll buy the textbook (Moffat, A. (2003). Programming, Problem Solving, and Abstraction with ) as my brother is a computer science student and there's a whole heap of programming books lying in the bookshelf. I think the book is recommended as opposed to prescribed, so I'll wait and see how I go without it.

Third subject is Thermal and Classical Physics. I've learned at both high school and first year physics that I'm unable to learn the materials in lectures and am almost completely reliant on the textbook to get me through. We have two prescribed texts for the subjects:

D V Schroeder, An Introduction to Thermal Physics, Addison-Wesley Longman.

A P Arye, Introduction to Classical Physics, Allen & Bacon.

The first seems to have decent reviews on Amazon and I'll be picking it up. I don't even think the second one exists, as I can't find it anywhere - not even on the university bookshop website.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the person. If you learn well from textbooks then go ahead and buy them! If you find that you get along just fine using the internet/library as a resource, then do that. If you have a thing for owning books and love looking over at a gigantic stack of textbooks like I do then you might buy four (very cheap, out of date, used) textbooks for a single class. Do whatever helps you learn the most.

Marsden and Tromba is pretty much unreadable unless you enjoy reading pages and pages of proofs. Serge Lang wrote a very nice book on vector calculus which can be found in most libraries. I've also heard nothing but good things about "Div, Grad, Curl, and All That," but have never read it myself.

I took a thermodynamics class which used Schroeder, and thought it was pretty well written and comprehensive. He even talks about things like diesel engine cycles and refrigerators, which many thermal physics texts omit completely.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll be getting "Div, Grad, Curl and All That" - sounds like a good reference book.

However, am undecided between Lang's "Calculus of Several Variables" and Stewart's "Multivariable Calculus: Concepts and Contexts". Which book is better/covers the material relevant to subject:

This subject studies the fundamental concepts of functions of several variables and vector calculus. It develops the manipulation of partial derivatives and vector differential operators. The gradient vector is used to obtain constrained extrema of functions of several variables. Line, surface and volume integrals are evaluated and related by various integral theorems. Vector differential operators are also studied using curvilinear coordinates.
Functions of several variables topics include limits, continuity, differentiability, the chain rule, Jacobian, Taylor polynomials and Lagrange multipliers. Vector calculus topics include vector fields, flow lines, curvature, torsion, gradient, divergence, curl and Laplacian. Integrals over paths and surfaces topics include line, surface and volume integrals; change of variables; applications including averages, moments of inertia, centre of mass; Green's theorem, Divergence theorem in the plane, Gauss' divergence theorem, Stokes' theorem; and curvilinear coordinates.​

Bearing in mind I've also got Calculus: Early Transcendentals by Anton, Bivis and Davies, which covers some aspects of the course.

Why don't you just have a look at them in the library and then decide whether you want to buy them.

I won't be at uni until the start of semester (next week) and I'd like to order my books as soon as possible. I intend to get them from the States, as the textbooks are ridiculously overpriced here (Australia).

My only option ATM is to look through e-books. I like the presentation of Stewart's book better, but I'm not sure if it covers the relevant material in as much detail as Lang.

They seem to get bashed a lot but I really like Stewart's Calculus books, I find myself already understanding most of the material before we even have a lecture on it.

I find that most of my classes come nowhere near to covering all the material in lecture that we need to know. I learn best from reading my texts, and then asking questions in/after lecture, then doing exercises.

Div, Grad, Curl, and All That is a great book. All the mathematics is taught in application to electromagnetics, which is an extra plus if that area is related to your area of study (I'm an EE major, so it's perfect). I'm about halfway through reading it. Covers more than we did in Multivariate Calculus (Calculus III).

Related to How important is it to buy textbooks for university courses?

1. Why do I need to buy textbooks for university courses?

Textbooks are an essential tool for learning in university courses. They provide in-depth information and explanations on the subject matter, as well as additional resources such as practice problems and case studies. Textbooks also serve as a reference for future courses and can be used for further study in the subject area.

2. Can I just use online resources instead of buying textbooks?

While some online resources may be helpful, they often do not provide the same level of detail and comprehensive coverage as textbooks. Additionally, online resources may not always be reliable or accurate. It is important to have a reliable and trusted source of information, which textbooks can provide.

3. How much money should I budget for textbooks?

The cost of textbooks can vary greatly depending on the subject, edition, and publisher. It is important to research the required textbooks for each course and budget accordingly. Some universities also offer textbook rental or used book options, which can help save money.

4. Can I borrow textbooks from the library instead of buying them?

Some universities may have a limited number of textbooks available for borrowing from the library, but they may not always be available or have the most updated editions. It is recommended to have your own copy of the required textbooks for your courses.

5. Are textbooks really necessary for all university courses?

While some courses may not require a textbook, it is still beneficial to have one as a reference for the subject. Textbooks provide a comprehensive overview and can help supplement lectures and other course materials. It is always best to check with the course syllabus or instructor to determine if a textbook is necessary for the course.