How Hot is 10 Degrees Celsius Compared to 5 Degrees Celsius?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Hot
In summary, the question asks for a temperature that is 4 times hotter than -4 degrees Celcius, with the choices being -16, -1, 12, and 16 degrees Celcius. However, converting -4 degrees Celcius to kelvins and multiplying by 4 gives an answer that is not on the list. The intended answer is unclear, making the question poorly constructed.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
What is 4 times hotter than -4 degrees Celcius?
A. -16 degrees Celcius
B. -1 degrees Celcius
C. 12 degrees Celcius
D. 16 degrees Celcius

What are your thoughts on the question? :)

In general if something is hotter than another, which direction must it move towards?

Jameson said:
What are your thoughts on the question? :)

In general if something is hotter than another, which direction must it move towards?

Up. But -4 x 4 is -16, and even if I answer 16, a fourth of it is 4, not -4.

I think this question is badly constructed,

If you convert -4 degrees celsius to kelvin units, you'll get ~269.2. Multiplying by 4 then converting back to celsius gives an answer not on the list. However, 4 times a temperature in kelvin is different than 4 times a temperature in a different unit. Each unit has a different scale, so the 4x calculation could drastically differ.

My guess for the intended answer to this bad question would be C, but I'm very curious what the officially response is.

Jameson said:
I think this question is badly constructed,

I agree completely. (Nod)

Jameson said:
If you convert -4 degrees celsius to kelvin units, you'll get ~269.2. Multiplying by 4 then converting back to celsius gives an answer not on the list. However, 4 times a temperature in kelvin is different than 4 times a temperature in a different unit. Each unit has a different scale, so the 4x calculation could drastically differ.

My guess for the intended answer to this bad question would be C, but I'm very curious what the officially response is.

I was also inclined to used an absolute scale such as Kelvins (that avoids negative values), but of course that doesn't lead to any of the choices. :D

Jameson said:

There's not any official response since it's a question I myself made up. In other words, I've been tricked by my own question.

Related to How Hot is 10 Degrees Celsius Compared to 5 Degrees Celsius?

What is the difference between hot and cold?

Hot and cold are two contrasting temperatures. Hot refers to a higher temperature, while cold refers to a lower temperature. The exact temperatures that are considered hot or cold may vary based on individual preferences and environmental factors.

What causes the sensation of hot and cold?

The sensation of hot and cold is caused by receptors in our skin that detect changes in temperature. These receptors then send signals to our brain, which interprets the information and creates the sensation of hot or cold.

How does temperature affect our bodies?

Temperature can have various effects on our bodies. Extreme heat or cold can be dangerous and lead to health issues. Our bodies have mechanisms to regulate temperature, such as sweating to cool down or shivering to warm up.

Why do some people prefer hot temperatures while others prefer cold temperatures?

Individual preferences for temperature can vary based on factors such as genetics, acclimation, and personal experiences. Some people may have a higher tolerance for hot temperatures, while others may feel more comfortable in colder temperatures.

What are the practical uses of hot and cold in science?

Hot and cold are essential in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and physics. They are used in experiments to study how temperature affects different materials, chemical reactions, and living organisms. They also have practical applications in industries such as food preservation, medical treatments, and energy production.