How high will a stone shot from a slingshot go?

• Thread starter colachuu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slingshot
In summary: He just didn't say so explicitly.)His equation is correct but if you take the force acting on the object as your reference point the equation changes to what i stated. Remember that the elastic potential energy is a consideration of the force acting on the object when it is at some displacement x, and that the force acting on the object is the force we are looking to find. That is the force that is acting on the object when it is displaced by x. The equilibrium point is not taken into consideration when you are finding the elastic potential energy. This is why the potential energy equation you stated is incorrect. You are taking the equilibrium point as the reference point instead of the force acting on the object.Edit:
colachuu

Homework Statement

(A)A rubber band slingshot shoots a 25g stone What is the intial speed of a stone if the rubber band is drawn back 0.15m with a force of 27N?
(B) How high will the stone rise if it is shot straight upward?

m=0.025kg
x=0.15m
F=27N

Homework Equations

Ep=1/2Fx
For this question in order to find velocity i believe one has to assume
Ep=Ek
Ek=1/2mv2
v2=2W/m

d=W/F

The Attempt at a Solution

Ep=1/2Fx
Ep=1/2(27N)(0.15m)
Ep=2.025J
Elastic potential energy is converted to kinetic energy when it is shot from the slingshot therefore:
Ep->Ek
2.025J=1/2mv2
v2=(2.025 J)(2)/(0.025kg)
v=12.73m/s

I believe that this would be the initial speed of the stone after being shot however i am having difficulties determining how high the stone would rise if it is shot straight upwards as asked in part (B)

The formula that i think would work is
d=W/F
however I am not sure what W and F are especially considering gravity.
How do i determine these factors??

Thank-you for taking a look!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that equation for [tex]E_p[/tex]?

Potential energy is the energy it would be required to bring an object from point A to point B (Making sure the final velocity at point B is 0) while overcoming some preserving force.

Where did you get the factor of [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] ? I think you're getting things mixed up with potential elastic energy for a spring abiding by Hooke's law.

[tex]E_p (y) = -\int \vec F dy[/tex]
Now, since our force is invariant (It is constant at 27N, correct?), what will the integral be? Consider the case of gravity (Where the dependence on the height is linear!)

If we assume that the rubber-band's elastic tension is a preserving force, and that once the stone is released, whatever potential energy we "charge" the rubber-band with is transferred to the stone, then the calculations become quite simple.

At first, we charge the rubber-band with potential energy. We perform work on it in order to do so. Going by the phrasing of the question, I'd ignore the effect of gravity on this part.
I suggest you assume that the rock is mounted on the rubber-band AFTER it's "charged" with potential energy.
[tex]W=F\cdot d[/tex]

If we assume energy is preserved, then the initial potential energy is equal to the kinetic energy at the point of release (Remember that the rubber-band has been pulled [tex]0.15m[/tex] below this point), and to the potential height energy at the maximum height.

Last edited:
I don't think that the force is constant. It sounds to me as if you are expected to assume the rubber band in the slingshot acts like a spring obeying Hooke's Law. This would be a very reasonable assumption for how a slingshot behaves.

Q1: If a 27N weight were hanging on a spring under the force of gravity, and the spring stretched 0.15 cm, what would be the spring constant?

Q2: If a 27N force pulled on a spring (maybe gravity, maybe not), and the spring stretched 0.15 cm, what would be the spring constant?

Q3: If you know the spring constant and the amount the spring (or rubber band) is pulled, what is the potential energy?

Q4: If you know the potential energy, what is the final height, assuming energy is conserved?

Potential energy can be found simply with the force, so finding the spring constant can be slightly redundant which is why i used
Ep=1/2Fx
rather than
Ep=1/2kx2 seeing as F=kx

Therefore JazzFusion for
A3: the potential energy is
Ep=1/2(27N)(0.15m)
Ep=2.025J

So the elastic potential energy (according to Hooke's law) is 2.025J.

Will all the elastic potential energy convert to gravitational energy when it reaches max height? Meaning can i assume that:

elastic Ep=gravitational Ep
2.025J=mgh
and solve for height from there?

Yes, for this problem you can get away with using Ep = 1/2 Fx, just don't get confused over what you're really doing.

elastic Ep=gravitational Ep should be fine.

colachuu said:
>
>
Will all the elastic potential energy convert to gravitational energy when it reaches max height? Meaning can i assume that:

elastic Ep=gravitational Ep
2.025J=mgh
and solve for height from there?
Yes, that is the point of writing it out in terms of energy - it makes this relationship transparent (and it applies in the general case of any position, any combination of x, h, v).

Your elastic potential equation was wrong, It's Ep = -Kx where k is your spring constant for the Rubber band and x is the displacement it's pulled back

No, his equation for Ep is correct. The Potential Energy for a spring obeying Hooke's Law is Ep = 1/2 k x2. The force is F = -kx. What he did was solve for 'k' algebraically and substitute F/x back into the equation for potential energy.

Related to How high will a stone shot from a slingshot go?

1. How does the weight of the stone affect its height when shot from a slingshot?

The weight of the stone does have an impact on how high it will go when shot from a slingshot. Heavier stones will have a lower trajectory and will not go as high as lighter stones. This is because the weight of the stone affects the amount of force that can be applied to it by the slingshot.

2. Will the angle at which the slingshot is held affect the height of the stone?

Yes, the angle at which the slingshot is held will have an impact on the height of the stone. The optimal angle for achieving maximum height will depend on the strength of the slingshot and the weight of the stone. Generally, a higher angle will result in a higher trajectory and therefore a higher height.

3. Does the length of the slingshot's elastic affect how high the stone will go?

Yes, the length of the slingshot's elastic can have an impact on the height of the stone. A longer elastic will allow for a greater amount of force to be applied to the stone, resulting in a higher trajectory and therefore a higher height. However, there may be other factors at play such as the strength of the slingshot and the weight of the stone.

4. How does the release point of the stone affect its height when shot from a slingshot?

The release point of the stone can have a significant impact on its height when shot from a slingshot. A lower release point will result in a lower trajectory and therefore a lower height, while a higher release point will result in a higher trajectory and a higher height. The optimal release point will depend on a variety of factors including the strength of the slingshot and the weight of the stone.

5. Why does the height of the stone decrease over distance when shot from a slingshot?

The height of the stone decreases over distance due to the effects of gravity. As the stone travels through the air, it is constantly being pulled towards the ground by the force of gravity. This results in a gradual decrease in height until the stone reaches the ground. The trajectory of the stone will also be affected by air resistance and other environmental factors, which can cause a decrease in height over distance as well.