How High Will a Failing Rocket Reach?

In summary: Once the engines fail, the only force acting on the rocket is gravity. The maximum height the rocket will reach is 570 m. After elapsing a period of time, the rocket will come crashing down to the launchpad at a speed of about 1100 m/s.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

A 7600 kg rocket blasts off vertically from the launch pad with a constant upward acceleration of 2.35 m/s^2 and feels no appreciable air resistance. When it has reached a height of 570 m, its engines suddenly fail so that the only force acting on it is now gravity

a.)What is the maximum height this rocket will reach above the launch pad?

b.)How much time after engine failure will elapse before the rocket comes crashing down to the launch pad?

c.)How fast will it be moving just before it crashes?

Homework Equations

Vertical movement equations:
[itex]\Delta x=v_{i}t + \frac{at^{2}}{2}[/itex]
[itex]v_{f} = v_{i} + at[/itex]
[itex]v_{f}^{2} = v_{i}^{2} = 2a \Delta x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the 7600kg is irrelevant, we have not gone over any equations that take mass into account. I'm not sure how to set this problem up.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm using the projectile motion formula:
[tex]\Delta y = v_{i}sin(\alpha)t +\frac{1}{2}(-9.8)t^{2}[/tex]

But since it's firing straight up, I let alpha be 90 degrees and so:

570 = 2.35t + \frac{1}{2}(-9.8)t^{2}

How can I get it's max height out of this?

Since the acceleration is not constant over the entire flight, you cannot use a constant acceleration equation for the whole thing. You must break the problem into two parts. Each with constant acceleration.

QuarkCharmer said:
I'm using the projectile motion formula:
[tex]\Delta y = v_{i}sin(\alpha)t +\frac{1}{2}(-9.8)t^{2}[/tex]

But since it's firing straight up, I let alpha be 90 degrees and so:

570 = 2.35t + \frac{1}{2}(-9.8)t^{2}

How can I get it's max height out of this?

2.35 is given as the upward acceleration, it is not the initial velocity like you are trying to use it as. You are using gravity for acceleration which is not correct for the upward motion when the engines are firing.

Added: The rocket is starting from rest on the launchpad.

Last edited:

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known variables and the equations that can be used to solve for the unknowns. In this case, the known variables are the initial acceleration (a=2.35 m/s^2), the initial velocity (vi=0 m/s), and the initial position (xi=0 m). The unknowns are the maximum height (xf), the time elapsed after engine failure (t), and the final velocity (vf).

To solve for xf, we can use the equation \Delta x=v_{i}t + \frac{at^{2}}{2} with the known values substituted in. This gives us xf= 570m. Therefore, the maximum height the rocket will reach above the launch pad is 570m.

To solve for t, we can use the equation v_{f} = v_{i} + at and substitute in the known values. Since the final velocity will be 0 m/s (due to the engine failure), we can rewrite the equation as t= - \frac{v_{i}}{a}. Plugging in the values gives us t= 0 seconds. This means that the rocket will start falling immediately after the engine failure.

To solve for vf, we can use the equation v_{f}^{2} = v_{i}^{2} + 2a \Delta x with the known values substituted in. This gives us vf= 55.08 m/s. Therefore, the rocket will be moving at a speed of 55.08 m/s just before it crashes.

Overall, the key takeaway from this problem is that the rocket will reach a maximum height of 570m above the launch pad, fall immediately after the engine failure, and crash with a speed of 55.08 m/s. The mass of the rocket is not relevant in this problem as the equations used do not take mass into account. However, it is important to consider mass in real-life scenarios as it can affect the acceleration and motion of the rocket.

Related to How High Will a Failing Rocket Reach?

1. How does a vertical rocket launch work?

A vertical rocket launch involves the ignition of a rocket's engines, which creates thrust and propels the rocket upwards. The rocket is designed to fly in a straight path, guided by its fins and other control mechanisms. As it ascends, the rocket's engines will gradually increase in power until it reaches its desired altitude.

2. What is the purpose of a vertical rocket launch?

Vertical rocket launches are used to send objects, such as satellites or spacecraft, into space. They are also used to test and develop new rocket technology, and to gather data about the Earth's atmosphere and space environment.

3. How high can a vertical rocket launch go?

The height that a vertical rocket launch can reach depends on several factors, including the rocket's size, weight, and the amount of fuel it carries. Generally, rockets can reach altitudes of up to 100 miles or more during vertical launches.

4. What safety precautions are taken during a vertical rocket launch?

Before a vertical rocket launch, extensive safety checks are conducted to ensure that all systems are functioning properly. Launch sites are also equipped with safety measures, such as emergency shut-off systems and remote-controlled destruct mechanisms, in case the rocket veers off course.

5. How is a vertical rocket launch different from a horizontal rocket launch?

A vertical rocket launch involves the rocket taking off in a straight, upward direction. In a horizontal rocket launch, the rocket is launched at an angle and follows a curved trajectory to reach its desired altitude. Horizontal launches are often used for space shuttles and other reusable spacecraft, while vertical launches are more common for unmanned rockets and satellites.