How High is the Cliff if a Rock Hits the Ocean in 3.2 Seconds?

In summary, the question asks for the height of a cliff given the time it takes for a rock to hit the ocean and the speed of sound. To solve this, you can use three equations that relate the time it takes for the rock and sound to travel certain distances and solve for the height of the cliff.
jshaner858
Thanks everyone for helping with my last question. Here's another one...(I'm actually in a Physics class, not just asking for "s and g." My TA for the class doesn't have a clue what she's talking about.)

A rock is thrown off the edge of a sea cliff. 3.2 seconds later you hear the sound of the rock hitting the ocean. If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff.

This question is baffling me because for the life of me I can't escape the feeling that there is not enough information to solve the problem. I don't need the answer; if someone could just help me with which equation to use to solve it.

Thanks a bunch...

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve this using 3 equations.

One that relates the time, t , it took the rock to hit the ocean floor a distance,d, down the cliff. Assuming no initial velocity.

Another equation that relates the time, T , it took the sound to travel back up the distance, D, back up the cliff at a speed, V. This is assuming that it is traveling straight up vertically and ignoring the horizontal component of the sound's motion to the observer or person listening.

And one that relates the two times t and T giving you 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

Last edited:

Hello Jason,

I'm glad to see that you are taking an active role in your physics class. It's great that you are seeking help and trying to understand the concepts better.

In order to solve this problem, you will need to use the equation for vertical motion, also known as the equation of motion. This equation is:

y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2

Where:
y = final position
y0 = initial position (in this case, the height of the cliff)
v0 = initial velocity (in this case, the velocity at which the rock was thrown off the cliff)
a = acceleration (in this case, due to gravity)
t = time (in this case, 3.2 seconds)

You can rearrange this equation to solve for y0, the initial position or height of the cliff:

y0 = y - v0t - 1/2at^2

Now, let's plug in the given values:

y0 = 0 - 0 - 1/2(-9.8)(3.2)^2
y0 = 0 - 0 - (-50)
y0 = 50 meters

So, the height of the cliff is 50 meters. I hope this helps and good luck with your physics class! Keep asking questions and seeking help when needed.

Related to How High is the Cliff if a Rock Hits the Ocean in 3.2 Seconds?

1. What is vertical motion?

Vertical motion refers to the movement of an object in a vertical direction, either upwards or downwards, due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect vertical motion?

The two main factors that affect vertical motion are the initial velocity of the object and the force of gravity acting on the object.

3. How can we calculate the vertical motion of an object?

The vertical motion of an object can be calculated using the equation: h = h0 + v0t + 1/2gt2, where h is the final height, h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between vertical and horizontal motion?

Vertical motion refers to the movement of an object in a vertical direction, while horizontal motion refers to the movement of an object in a horizontal direction. Vertical motion is affected by the force of gravity, while horizontal motion is typically affected by other forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. How does air resistance affect vertical motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect vertical motion by slowing down the speed of an object as it falls. This is due to the force of air resistance acting in the opposite direction to the motion of the object, causing it to experience a downward force. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the object, as well as the density of the air.