How High Is the Bridge Based on Projectile Motion?

• Thread starter keithcuda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the problem involves a rock being thrown horizontally from a bridge and hitting the water 30 meters away in 2 seconds. The formula used to solve for the height of the bridge is d=.5gt2, with g representing the acceleration due to gravity. The correct solution is 19.62 meters.
keithcuda

Homework Statement

A rock thrown horizontally from a bridge hits the water below 30 meters away in the horizontal direction. If the rock was in the air for 2 seconds, how tall is the bridge?

Homework Equations

d=.5gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am going about this the right way. Just want to double check.

d=.5*9.81*4
d= 19.62m
The bridge would be 19.62m high?

cheers,
Keith

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been about 50 years since I've actually worked out a problem like that but it sounds wrong, and here's why: the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second. That means that the rock will travel 9.8 meters in the first second, but much more in the next second, so the total can't be 9.8 x 2 which is what you got.

phinds said:
It's been about 50 years since I've actually worked out a problem like that but it sounds wrong, and here's why: the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second. That means that the rock will travel 9.8 meters in the first second, but much more in the next second, so the total can't be 9.8 x 2 which is what you got.
It looks right to me. The first second it travels ~ 5 m, and the second second, it travels ~15 m.

Chet

Likes keithcuda
Chestermiller said:
It looks right to me. The first second it travels ~ 5 m, and the second second, it travels ~15 m.

Chet
Guess I have it wrong then that it travels 9.8m in the first second. I guess what the figure means is that at the end of the first second it is MOVING at 9.8 m/s, not that it has MOVED 9.8 m ... 50 years ago I bet I would have got it right :oldtongue:

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your question. Your approach is correct. According to the given information, the bridge would be 19.62 meters high. This calculation assumes that the rock was thrown horizontally with no initial vertical velocity. If there was an initial vertical velocity, the calculation would be slightly different. It is important to consider all factors when making scientific calculations. Keep up the good work!

Related to How High Is the Bridge Based on Projectile Motion?

1. How tall is the bridge?

The height of a bridge can vary greatly depending on the specific bridge in question. Some bridges are only a few feet tall, while others can reach heights of over 1,000 feet. It is important to specify which bridge you are referring to when asking about its height.

2. What is the average height of a bridge?

The average height of a bridge is around 100 feet. However, this is just an estimate and can differ greatly depending on the location and type of bridge.

3. How is the height of a bridge measured?

The height of a bridge is typically measured from the base of the bridge to the highest point of the bridge, such as the top of a tower or the center of the arch.

4. Is the height of a bridge the same as its clearance height?

No, the height of a bridge and its clearance height are not the same. The height of a bridge refers to its overall height, while the clearance height is the distance between the bridge and the ground or water below, allowing for the passage of boats or vehicles.

5. How does the height of a bridge affect its structural integrity?

The height of a bridge can greatly impact its structural integrity. The taller the bridge, the more weight it must support, which can place stress on the bridge's materials and design. Engineers must carefully consider the height and weight load of a bridge when designing it to ensure its structural integrity.