How High Does the Rocket Clear the Wall?

In summary, the problem is asking for the vertical distance the rocket clears when fired at a speed of 75.0 m/s and an angle of 60.0º above the horizontal towards a wall that is 11.0m high and 27.0m away. The correct method is to calculate the time taken to reach the wall based on the horizontal distance, and then use that time to calculate the vertical displacement. The initial time calculated was incorrect, as it was the time to reach a height of 11.0m rather than 27.0m. The correct answer is 86.4m.
Vaalron

Homework Statement

A rocket is fired at a speed of 75.0 m/s from ground level at an angle of 60.0º above the horizontal. The rocket is fired toward an 11.0m high wall, which is located 27.0m away. By how much does the rocket clear the wall?

Homework Equations

y=vot-1/2gt^2

possibly x=vyt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the formula listed above (first one) to find the time.

I made it so it was t= [tex]\sqrt{}2(-11)/-9.8[/tex]

To get t=1.5 seconds

I then did sin60º(75) to get 64.95m

I then plugged in the numbers into the equation listed above (2nd one)

I plugged in the following:

64.95m(1.5s)

To get 97.4m, then I subtracted 11m from 97.4m, to get 86.4m

The rocket clears the wall by 86.4 meters

Is this wrong? If it is, can someone guide me in the right direction, by which formulas I should use?

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate it.

Peace

Physics news on Phys.org
Please guys, Need help as soon as possible :/

calculate the time taken to reach the wall... use horizontal velocity and horizontal distance = 27.0m.

using that time and vertical velocity... calculate the vertical displacement within the time you just got... then subtract the height of the wall.

Don't you find the maximum vertical displacement by using the formula y=vytI found the time by using the formula t=1/2gt^2

g= -9.8 m/s^2

to get time= 1.5 seconds

I then found the vertical velocity by using sine(trig)

sin60º(75) to get 64.95 m/s

Then Plugged it in

y= 64.95(1.5)

=97.4m - 11.0m = 86.4m

I said this in the first post. Is this correct?

No, it's not correct. Learningphysics is right, you need to calculate the time based on the horizontal length of 27m, then plug the time into the formula to get the vertical distance.

The time you're calculating isn't right. You're calculating the time to get to a height of 11.0m... that's not the time you need... Follow the method chocokat and I are giving. Get the time to reach the wall... what is the horizontal velocity? Horizontal displacement is 27m.

You need to find out by how much the wall is cleared... in other words you need the vertical displacement when the horizontal displacement is 27m. What is the time to get to 27m...

Related to How High Does the Rocket Clear the Wall?

1. How does a rocket achieve flight?

A rocket achieves flight by using a combination of thrust, lift, and control. The thrust, created by the rocket's engines, propels the rocket upwards. The rocket's shape and design also create lift, which helps it stay in the air. Control is achieved through the use of fins, thrusters, and other mechanisms that allow the rocket to change direction and maintain stability.

2. What materials are used to build a rocket?

Rockets are typically made of lightweight and strong materials such as aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium. The body of the rocket is often made of aluminum because it is lightweight and can withstand high temperatures. Carbon fiber is used for parts that need to be strong and lightweight, such as the rocket's nose cone. Titanium is also used for its strength and heat resistance, particularly for the rocket's engines.

3. How high can a rocket fly?

The height a rocket can reach depends on various factors such as its design, the amount of fuel it carries, and the strength of its engines. Some rockets, such as the Saturn V, have reached heights of over 100 miles. However, the average altitude for a commercial rocket launch is between 100-400 miles.

4. How does a rocket overcome gravity?

A rocket overcomes gravity by using the principle of thrust. The rocket's engines produce a force that is greater than the force of gravity, allowing it to lift off the ground and overcome the pull of Earth's gravity. Additionally, as the rocket gains altitude, the force of gravity decreases, making it easier for the rocket to continue its flight.

5. What is the purpose of a rocket's stages?

A rocket's stages are used to optimize its flight and achieve the desired trajectory. Each stage contains its own set of engines and fuel, and as the rocket ascends, these stages are discarded to reduce the weight of the rocket and increase its speed. This allows the rocket to reach higher altitudes and achieve greater speeds, ultimately reaching its intended destination.