How High Does the Block Reach on a Moving Ramp?

In summary: That should give you enough to solve for the final speed of the system.In summary, a block with an initial horizontal velocity v0 slides up a ramp of angle θ and mass M without reaching the top before sliding back down. The highest point that the block reaches can be determined by using the conservation of energy equation and considering the horizontal kinetic energy at the top. The net force on the system is due to gravity, but the normal force from the ramp has a horizontal component that is not canceled by any other force. By treating the block and ramp as a single system, momentum is conserved in the horizontal direction, allowing for the final speed of the system to be calculated.
datdo
Difficult: Block sliding up moving ramp

Homework Statement

A block of mass m with initial velocity of v0 slides up up a ramp of angle [tex]\theta[/tex] and mass M that is not pinned to the ground. It doesn't reach the top before sliding back down. What is the highest point that the block reaches in terms on [tex]\theta[/tex], v0, and m. There is no friction between any surfaces.

Homework Equations

[tex]p = mv[/tex]
[tex]J=Ft[/tex]
[tex]E_i=E_f[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E_i=E_f[/tex]
[tex].5mv_0^2=.5Mv_r^2+mgh[/tex]

[tex]p_i=p_f+J[/tex]
[tex]mv_0= Mv_r+Ft[/tex]<-at top height

[tex]F=mg+mgcos\theta[/tex]<-from standard block on ramp problems

Is this correct?

Attachments

• movingramp.bmp
    259.8 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What is I = Ft ? Impulse?

And what do you do with getting rid of F and t?

Maybe consider the conservation of energy as you were starting to do?

1/2mVo2 = (horizontal kinetic energy) + m*g*h

Focus on what the horizontal kinetic energy is at the top. And as well express h in terms of the distance up the ramp and θ.

I guess I should explain a bit:

First things I thought were energy is conserved but momentum is not due to a external net force but I can still work with momentum if I just figure out the impulse.

[tex]E_i = E_f[/tex]

[tex]p_i =p_f +J[/tex]

The problem I'm having is I don't know how to solve for time. Nor do I am I sure what the net force is. I know its due to gravity but I'm not sure how the weight and the normal force cancel.

Basically the question I'm really wondering is what is the impulse of this "collision"

datdo said:

First things I thought were energy is conserved but momentum is not due to a external net force but I can still work with momentum if I just figure out the impulse.

[tex]E_i = E_f[/tex]

[tex]p_i =p_f +J[/tex]

The problem I'm having is I don't know how to solve for time. Nor do I am I sure what the net force is. I know its due to gravity but I'm not sure how the weight and the normal force cancel.

Basically the question I'm really wondering is what is the impulse of this "collision"

Is there a drawing that shows the block initially traveling horizontally only? Or is the Vo initially directed up the incline?

v0 is completely horizontal

datdo said:

There's no external horizontal force on the system, so momentum is conserved in that direction. Find the speed of system when the block reaches the highest point, then use LowlyPion's hint in post #2.

but the normal force due to the ramp has a horizontal component which is not canceled by any other force.

Also if there were no horizontal force the block would continue moving to the right. Newton's first law.

Also in response to LowlyPion:

Energy is a scalar so you can't take components of it.

Last edited:
datdo said:
but the normal force due to the ramp has a horizontal component which is not canceled by any other force.

Also if there were no horizontal force the block would continue moving to the right. Newton's first law.
Of course if you look at the block alone, then there's an unbalanced force on it. Instead of doing that, look at the block + ramp as a single system. There are no external horizontal forces on the system, thus the momentum of the system is conserved in that direction.

Related to How High Does the Block Reach on a Moving Ramp?

1. How does the angle of the ramp affect the block's motion?

The angle of the ramp determines the force of gravity acting on the block. The steeper the angle, the more force pulling the block down the ramp. This affects the acceleration and speed of the block.

2. What is the relationship between the weight of the block and its motion up the ramp?

The weight of the block, or its mass, affects the force of gravity acting on it. The heavier the block, the more force it will have pulling it down the ramp. However, the block's weight does not affect its motion up the ramp, as the normal force from the ramp counteracts the force of gravity.

3. Can the coefficient of friction influence the block's motion on the ramp?

Yes, the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp can affect its motion. A higher coefficient of friction will result in more frictional force between the block and the ramp, slowing down the block's motion.

4. What is the role of kinetic and potential energy in block sliding up a moving ramp?

As the block slides up the ramp, its potential energy increases due to its height above the ground. At the same time, its kinetic energy decreases as it slows down due to friction. At the top of the ramp, the block's potential energy is at its maximum and its kinetic energy is zero.

5. How does the length of the ramp affect the block's motion?

The length of the ramp does not directly affect the block's motion. However, a longer ramp may allow the block to reach a higher final height and increase its potential energy. It may also result in a longer distance for the block to travel, causing it to slow down more due to friction.