How High Does a Rocket Rise After Fuel Depletion?

• Thread starter maaz224
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary: So what is the distance he traveled while going 94.5km/hr? How much time was that?So I have a question on a certain problemA child on a playground swing has a speed of 2.1 m/s at the bottom of the arc when the distance from the pivot point to the child is 2.4 m. (b) What is the child's speed at the top of the arc if the child continues to pump with her legs and maintains a constant amplitude?Homework EquationsVf=Vi+atThe Attempt at a SolutionI got 0.7 m/s at the top of the arc Homework Statement A child on a playground swing has a speed of
maaz224

Homework Statement

A rocket moves upward, starting from rest with an acceleration of +30.0 m/s2 for 5.00 s. It runs out of fuel at the end of this 5.00 s and continues to move upward for a while. How high does it rise above its original starting point?

Homework Equations

Hmm this is one of my homework questions i have like 5 more of these problems, can someone help solve this one showing a step by step.

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did was multiplied 30 x 5 to so 150m I don't understand what formula i should use to calculate the part 2 of this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
maaz224 said:

Homework Statement

A rocket moves upward, starting from rest with an acceleration of +30.0 m/s2 for 5.00 s. It runs out of fuel at the end of this 5.00 s and continues to move upward for a while. How high does it rise above its original starting point?

Homework Equations

Hmm this is one of my homework questions i have like 5 more of these problems, can someone help solve this one showing a step by step.

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did was multiplied 30 x 5 to so 150m I don't understand what formula i should use to calculate the part 2 of this problem

Welcome to the PF.

I've moved your question from the Advanced Physics forum to the Intro Physics forum. The Advanced Physics forum is for upper-division and graduate-level questions.

Also, per the PF rules (see the link at the top of the page), we don't do your schoolwork questions for you. We can provide hints, ask questions, check your work, etc., but you must do the bulk of the work.

So having said that, what can you do with each part of this problem? Break it down into the various parts (start, middle, end, etc.), and see what equations you can write for each part. Like, it has constant accelration for some amount of time at the start, so what can you say about it's speed and KE and PE at the point it runs out of fuel?

A tennis ball with a speed of 8.0 m/s is thrown perpendicularly at a wall. After striking the wall, the ball rebounds in the opposite direction with a speed of 6.0 m/s. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.019 s, what is the average acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the wall? Take the initial direction of motion to be the positive direction. (Indicate the direction of the acceleration by the sign of your answer.)

I actaully sovled the one above.. can someone help me with this one

Man... I am taking ap physics... LOL

maaz224 said:
A tennis ball with a speed of 8.0 m/s is thrown perpendicularly at a wall. After striking the wall, the ball rebounds in the opposite direction with a speed of 6.0 m/s. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.019 s, what is the average acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the wall? Take the initial direction of motion to be the positive direction. (Indicate the direction of the acceleration by the sign of your answer.)

I actaully sovled the one above.. can someone help me with this one

As I said already, you need to show some work. What is the definition of acceleration in terms of velocities and times?

Alright if its work you need... I am coming with it right now

8m/s would be its velocity, so accel equals Final v - iniital v /time = acceleration

Hmm but what i don't understand is... how will i be able to calculate final velocity iniital is 8 m/s

maaz224 said:
Hmm but what i don't understand is... how will i be able to calculate final velocity iniital is 8 m/s

The problem statement says that its velocity is 8m/s one way before hitting the wall, and 6m/s the other way after hitting the wall. What's the total delta-v?

okay i understand thanks so the total v

-8+-6 SO -14 now we have the equation for accel which is a = total v/ Time so its -14/.019 so its 736.84 Nice

A person takes a trip, driving with a constant speed of 94.5 km/h except for a 21.0 min rest stop. If the person's average speed is 65.6 km/h, how much time is spent on the trip and how far does the person travel?

LMAO i have no clue about this hw... ... what type of work am i suppose to show on this.. can someone give me a hint

so far what i found was 65.6 = Distance (unknown) / x(time unknown) + 21 mins

maaz224 said:
A person takes a trip, driving with a constant speed of 94.5 km/h except for a 21.0 min rest stop. If the person's average speed is 65.6 km/h, how much time is spent on the trip and how far does the person travel?

LMAO i have no clue about this hw... ... what type of work am i suppose to show on this.. can someone give me a hint

First of all, please start a new thread when you have a new question. It's too hard for folks trying to help if you append new questions on the end of an existing thread.

Second, the type of work you show is your try at figuring out the problem. Spoon feeding and hand holding you won't help you learn how to learn, and that's a big part of what we do at the PF.

So how should you approach a problem like this? Remember what I said a ways back in this thread about breaking a problem up into its parts. Break this up into parts, start labelling variables and things (like times t1, t2, etc.), and see how the whole thing looks to you.

Post your work and thoughts.

maaz224 said:
so far what i found was 65.6 = Distance (unknown) / x(time unknown) + 21 mins

And he was going 94.5km/hr for the time x that you list... (maybe use t1 instead of x)

Related to How High Does a Rocket Rise After Fuel Depletion?

1. What is the importance of seeking help with homework and understanding basic concepts?

Seeking help with homework and understanding basic concepts is crucial for academic success and deeper understanding of the subject matter. It allows students to clarify any confusion or doubts they may have, and ensures that they are on the right track to completing assignments and exams successfully.

2. How can I find reliable help with my homework and understanding basic concepts?

There are various options for finding reliable help with homework and understanding basic concepts. These include seeking assistance from teachers or professors, joining study groups, utilizing online resources and platforms, and hiring a tutor.

3. What are some effective study strategies for improving my understanding of basic concepts?

Some effective study strategies for improving understanding of basic concepts include actively engaging with the material, using mnemonic devices, creating study guides or flashcards, and practicing problem-solving. It is also important to take breaks and manage time effectively while studying.

4. How can I overcome difficulties in understanding basic concepts?

If you are struggling to understand basic concepts, it is important to first identify the specific areas or topics that are causing difficulty. Then, seek help from a teacher, tutor, or study group. It may also be helpful to break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and practice regularly.

5. What are the consequences of not seeking help and understanding basic concepts?

Not seeking help and understanding basic concepts can have negative consequences, such as poor academic performance, increased stress and anxiety, and a lack of foundational knowledge for future learning. It is important to address any difficulties in understanding early on to prevent these consequences.