How hard should it be to get a First?

• Thread starter BOYLANATOR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the difficulty of obtaining a First is determined by factors such as curriculum complexity, grading system, academic standards, and individual performance. Certain fields of study may be perceived as harder to get a First in, but it ultimately depends on the specific program and the student's abilities. The average percentage of students who receive a First varies between institutions and programs, with an estimated 20-30% receiving the top grade. The difficulty level can also differ between undergraduate and graduate studies. While there is no one strategy for achieving a First, general tips include actively participating in classes, seeking help, time management, and staying organized.
BOYLANATOR
Hi,

I am halfway through my 3rd Year studying Physics and am finding that the difficulty of the course has increased dramatically.
For example, a 15 lecture course in the first two years would take about 30-50 hours of study to get to a high level of understanding (a comfortable A).
Compare to, for example, a 15 lecture course on Electricity and Magnetism I am currently studying. I have put in around 60 hours work already and although I feel like I am starting to develop a good feel for how everything fits together I am nowhere near confident in answering the full range of exam style questions.
It feels like I'm going to have to work all day every day to get to where I want to be across all courses once lab time and projects are added in.
It's worth noting that I like to be able to follow every development in lecture notes and textbooks in order to really understand how everything works.
Is this an attitude that is going to prove impossible to satisfy in these higher level courses?
Basically I want to know, is it supposed to be this hard, because I'm stressing out?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, it's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed when facing more difficult courses in your academic journey. As you progress in your studies, the level of difficulty will naturally increase, and it's important to remember that this is a sign of growth and challenge, rather than a reflection of your abilities.

In regards to your concerns about the amount of time and effort needed to succeed in these higher level courses, it's important to understand that each person's learning style and pace is unique. Some students may be able to grasp concepts quickly and require less time to study, while others may need more time and practice. It's important to not compare yourself to others and instead focus on your own progress and understanding of the material.

Additionally, it's important to keep in mind that physics is a complex and constantly evolving field, and it's natural to not understand everything immediately. It's important to have a strong foundation in the basics, but it's also okay to not have a complete understanding of every development in lecture notes and textbooks. As long as you have a solid understanding of the core concepts and are able to apply them, you are on the right track.

Lastly, it's important to have a balanced approach to studying. While it's important to put in the necessary time and effort, it's also important to take breaks and have a healthy work-life balance. This will not only help with your overall well-being, but it can also improve your focus and retention of information.

In summary, it's completely normal to struggle and feel overwhelmed in higher level courses, but it's important to have a positive attitude and approach to learning. Keep up the hard work and don't hesitate to seek help from professors or peers if needed. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to How hard should it be to get a First?

1. How is the difficulty of getting a First determined?

The difficulty of obtaining a First is determined by several factors, such as the complexity and rigor of the curriculum, the grading system used by the institution, and the overall academic standards of the program. Additionally, the individual effort and performance of each student also play a role in determining the difficulty of achieving a First.

2. Is it harder to get a First in certain fields of study?

It is often perceived that certain fields of study, such as science and engineering, are more difficult to obtain a First in compared to other fields like humanities and social sciences. However, the difficulty level can vary depending on the specific program and institution, and it ultimately depends on the individual strengths and abilities of the student.

3. What is the average percentage of students who get a First?

The average percentage of students who receive a First can vary greatly between institutions and programs. Generally, the percentage is lower at more prestigious universities and in more challenging programs. On average, it is estimated that around 20-30% of students receive a First.

4. How does the difficulty of getting a First differ between undergraduate and graduate studies?

The difficulty of obtaining a First can vary between undergraduate and graduate studies. Graduate programs typically have a more specialized and advanced curriculum, making it more challenging to achieve a top grade. However, undergraduate programs often have a larger pool of students, making it more competitive to stand out and receive a First.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for achieving a First?

There is no one-size-fits-all strategy for obtaining a First, as it ultimately depends on the individual's strengths, study habits, and dedication. However, some general tips for achieving a top grade include consistently attending and actively participating in classes, seeking help from professors and peers, managing time effectively, and staying organized and on top of assignments and exams.