How hard is a Phd in Mathematics in mit?

In summary, getting a PhD in mathematics from a top program like MIT or an Ivy League university is challenging but doable if you are accepted. However, gaining admission to these programs can be significantly harder and is influenced by factors like strong letters of recommendation and qualifications that make you stand out as a likely candidate for success in the program. It is important to remember that everyone's experience will be different and first-hand experience is the best way to know how hard it will be for you personally. Working hard and continuously improving your qualifications will increase your chances of admission.
OhNoYaDidn't
My question is pretty much what i wrote in the title, I'm wondering how hard a phd in mathematics from mit or an ivy league univ would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting any PhD from a decent math program, including MIT, is challenging. I don't think this is something that we can easily compare between two schools (as definition of "harder" differs from a person to another person).

Getting INTO a PhD program in mathematics at MIT, on the other hand, is significantly harder than many math PhD programs in US.

in general i think it is hard, but doable, to get a phd from any school that admits you, if they do a good job of vetting their applicants. i got into univ of utah in 1974 and finished there in 3 years in 1977, although they thought i should have finished in two. It was the hardest thing i have ever done, but it did eventually work out.

In other words, I presume most phd programs admit you thinking that you will probably finish, if you give it absolutely every ounce of effort that you have. To be more more specific, it is about as hard as anything could possibly be. You have to really enjoy your work to persist in such a task.

PieceOfPi said:
Getting INTO a PhD program in mathematics at MIT, on the other hand, is significantly harder than many math PhD programs in US.

That is the question that I worry about; that is, what program (if any) will I be able to gain admission to? I worry less about succeeding once I'm accepted. Not out of any misplaced confidence, but simply because I have some measure of control over that outcome whereas being accepted to a PhD program seems to be, to a certain extent, out of my hands. (Or at least strongly influenced by factors that I have little control over.)

I think the most important part of your application is your letter of recommendations. If you want to get into any particular graduate school, the best way to increase your odds is to have an excellent letter written by someone who is well known (and liked) by that institution. Most anything can be overlooked with strong enough letters.

I have just been accepted into graduate school, so I'm no authority. In my defense I became very close to my advisor and learned a lot about the process from his experience.

you are ignoring the gist of my comment about vetting. namely schools take people that seem likely to succeed. hence by making yourself more qualified, you increase the likelihood of admission.

mathwonk said:
you are ignoring the gist of my comment about vetting. namely schools take people that seem likely to succeed. hence by making yourself more qualified, you increase the likelihood of admission.

I see my confusion, I mixed up Mallus with the OP who referred only to being accepted. In any case, I think it's easier to convince the search committee that you will succeed in their program if someone they know (and trust) vouches for you.

OhNoYaDidn't said:
My question is pretty much what i wrote in the title, I'm wondering how hard a phd in mathematics from mit or an ivy league univ would be.
Seven.

I think that you already know the answer. Notice how you didn't word the question, "How easy would a phd in mathematics from mit or an ivy league univ be?" but "how hard would it be?"

I'm 16, but even I know that you're going to have to work your *** off, and that it could easily be the most difficult thing that you'll have to do in your life. Maybe not for everybody, but judging by the fact that you have self-doubt about your capabilities, then I doubt it will just be a breeze for you.

In the end, you'll never know until you apply, either get rejected/accepted, and actually go through the program. Second-hand accounts will never be able to apply for you, because other people AREN'T you. Your abilities are different from theirs, as is your work ethic, etc. First hand experience is going to be the best answer to your question.

Timo said:
Seven.
No no no. It is over Nine Thousand...

Sankaku said:
It is over Nine Thousand...

Lol. I do remember when my friend spammed that phrase every 5 minutes. >.<

For people who don't know, it's from a parody of DBZ.

Nano-Passion said:
Lol. I do remember when my friend spammed that phrase every 5 minutes. >.<

For people who don't know, it's from a parody of DBZ.

Followed by Vegeta getting crapped on by Goku of course.

I second the advice about letters of recommendation. Especially because there are extremely terrific applicants of very different shapes, the letters indicating a good fit for the program are the most crucial thing, once you have good coursework, grades, and scores. I have seen applicants of various resumes get rejected from universities like MIT. Aside from the very few true prodigies out there, I think aside from having spectacular awards or publications, most of us are in the same boat admissions-wise aside from the letters. Keep in mind it's not just how good your letters are, but how they are received by admissions (hence a lot of variables that you have no control over -- apply to a good number of schools that you could be happy at, and you'll probably be fine).

However, simply maintaining a great record from a terrific undergraduate mathematics program with strong but not stellar letters can still get you into a great program for PhD.

DeadOriginal said:
Followed by Vegeta getting crapped on by Goku of course.

I remember it going the other way in that particular fight actually. Just saiyan.

clope023 said:
I remember it going the other way in that particular fight actually. Just saiyan.

Just saiyan. lol I like that. Vegeta was getting killed until he went ape. Then yea... Goku ate monkey poo.

To the OP: Work hard everyday and everyday it'll be a little easier to get into MIT because everyday you'll be strengthening your foundation.

Related to How hard is a Phd in Mathematics in mit?

1. How much time does it take to complete a Phd in Mathematics at MIT?

The average time to complete a Phd in Mathematics at MIT is 5-6 years. However, this can vary depending on the individual's research progress and other factors.

2. What is the coursework like for a Phd in Mathematics at MIT?

The coursework for a Phd in Mathematics at MIT is rigorous and challenging. It typically involves advanced courses in pure and applied mathematics, as well as seminars and independent research projects.

3. Are there any specific entrance requirements for the Phd program in Mathematics at MIT?

Yes, in order to be accepted into the Phd program at MIT, applicants must have a strong background in mathematics, as well as a bachelor's and/or master's degree in a related field. They must also have excellent grades and letters of recommendation.

4. How much does it cost to pursue a Phd in Mathematics at MIT?

The cost of a Phd in Mathematics at MIT varies depending on the individual's financial situation. However, most Phd students receive full tuition waivers and stipends to cover living expenses through teaching or research assistantships.

5. What are the job prospects after completing a Phd in Mathematics at MIT?

Graduates from the Phd program in Mathematics at MIT have excellent job prospects. Many go on to become professors or researchers at top universities, while others pursue careers in industry or government agencies.