How Fourier Expansion indicates the Amplitude w.r.t a certain frequency?

In summary, the conversation is about extracting the amplitude of a sinusoid component from a continuous wave at a certain frequency response. The teacher suggests using Fourier Expansion, but the limits and integrals are confusing. The student tried a simple example but was unsure of the result. The teacher corrected the mistake of using the real part and suggested using the magnitude instead, but the calculation is still challenging.
genxium

Homework Statement

I want to know how could I extract the amplitude(of the sinusoid component) of a random continuous wave w.r.t a certain frequency response? The teacher said the Fourier Expansion can do that but I'm really confused by the limits and integrals.

Homework Equations

[itex]F(\omega)=\int f(t) e^{-j \omega t} dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the very easy example and want to extract the amplitude where the frequency matches(say [itex]\omega = \omega_0 [/itex]). [itex]f(t)=A \cdot cos\omega_0t,\hat{f}(t)=A \cdot e^{j \omega_0 t},\hat{F}(\omega)=\int \hat{f}(t) \cdot e^{-j \omega t} dt [/itex], range ([itex]-\infty ,\infty [/itex]), but it turned out to be [itex]Re\{ \hat{F}( \omega ) \}=A \cdot \frac{sin(\omega_0 - \omega ) (t_2-t_1)}{\omega_0 - \omega}[/itex], where [itex]t_2=\infty,t_1=-\infty[/itex] , it's weird if I follow the basic operation of sin function, I got [itex]Re\{ \hat{F}( \omega ) \}=2 \cdot A \cdot \frac{sin(\omega_0 - \omega ) \infty}{\omega_0 - \omega}[/itex], and then although applying that [itex]lim \frac{sinx}{x} -> 1[/itex] while x->0, it's 2A, besides I don't even know if this's right.

I have no idea what happened...

Any help will be appreciated !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Terribly sorry that my teacher has corrected my mistakes, the Amplitude should be [itex]|F(\omega)|[/itex] instead of [itex]Re \{ \hat{F}(\omega) \}[/itex],but the calculation becomes even harder, I'm still trying on this question.

Related to How Fourier Expansion indicates the Amplitude w.r.t a certain frequency?

1. What is a Fourier Expansion and how does it relate to amplitude?

A Fourier Expansion is a mathematical technique used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. The amplitude of each sinusoidal function in the expansion determines the overall amplitude of the periodic function at a certain frequency.

2. How does a Fourier Expansion indicate amplitude at a specific frequency?

The coefficients of the sinusoidal functions in a Fourier Expansion represent the amplitude at a specific frequency. The larger the coefficient, the higher the amplitude at that frequency.

3. Can a Fourier Expansion show the amplitude for all frequencies?

Yes, a Fourier Expansion can represent the amplitude for all frequencies, including very high and very low frequencies. However, it may require an infinite number of sinusoidal functions to accurately represent the amplitude at all frequencies.

4. How is a Fourier Expansion used in practical applications?

Fourier Expansions are commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other areas of science and engineering to analyze and manipulate signals. They can be used to filter out noise, identify specific frequencies, and extract useful information from signals.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier Expansion to indicate amplitude?

While Fourier Expansions are very useful in many applications, they have some limitations. For example, they may not accurately represent signals that are not periodic or have sharp discontinuities. In addition, they require a large number of terms to accurately represent highly complex signals, which can be computationally expensive.