In summary, the concept of sudden transition in the quantization of electromagnetic field can be better understood by looking at the analogy with single-particle quantum mechanics. Just like the classical equation for the harmonic oscillator can be turned into a quantum equation by replacing the variables with operators, the same applies to quantum fields where the Fourier components of the vector potential A become quantum operators. This is similar to the case of a single-particle in a harmonic oscillator potential, where the raising and lowering operators are related to the Fourier transforms of the position and momentum operators. This concept helps in understanding why the Fourier components of A need to become quantum operators in order to quantize the electromagnetic field.
goodphy
Hello.

I'm studying quantization of electromagnetic field (to see photon!) and on the way to reach harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian as a final stage, sudden transition that the Fourier components of vector potential A become quantum operators is observed. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_of_the_electromagnetic_field)

I guess Wikipedia doesn't describes much of the reason for this jump. It only states that the operator is for boson. I know photon is boson but how it can explain Fourier components of A should become quantum operators? And besides, I originally expected to see the prove that photon is boson in this study.

Could anybody help me to understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps to see the analogy with single-particle quantum mechanics, in the case of the harmonic oscillator. You have, classically:

[itex]E = \frac{m}{2} \dot{x}^2 + \frac{K}{2} x^2[/itex]

Then you can turn this classical equation into a quantum equation by letting [itex]p = m \dot{x}[/itex] and rewriting it as:

[itex]E = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{K}{2} x^2[/itex]

where [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] obey the commutation relation [itex][p,x] = -i \hbar[/itex]

The next move is to rewrite it in terms of "raising and lowering" operators:

[itex]a = \frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar} x + i \frac{1}{2m \omega \hbar}[/itex]

[itex]a^\dagger = \frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar} x - i \frac{1}{2m \omega \hbar}[/itex]

Now, turning to quantum fields, instead of single particles. For a massless quantum field [itex]\Phi[/itex], there is energy associated with every Fourier mode [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]. This energy is given by: (something like...)

[itex]E(\vec{k}) = C ( |\tilde{\dot{\Phi}}|^2 + |\vec{k} \tilde{\Phi}|^2) [/itex]

where [itex]\tilde{\Phi}[/itex] is the Fourier transform of [itex]\Phi[/itex], and [itex]\tilde{\dot{\Phi}}[/itex] is similarly the Fourier transform of [itex]\dot{\Phi}[/itex]

To quantize this, you similarly replace [itex]\dot{\Phi}[/itex] by the canonical momentum [itex]\Pi[/itex] to get:

[itex]E(\vec{k}) = C ( |\tilde{\Pi}|^2 + |\vec{k} \tilde{\Phi}|^2) = C ( |\tilde{\Pi}|^2 + \omega^2 |\tilde{\Phi}|^2) [/itex] (where [itex]\omega = |\vec{k}|[/itex])

For a fixed mode [itex]\vec{k}[/itex], this looks like the hamiltonian of the harmonic oscillator. So you can similarly solve it by writing:

[itex]a(\vec{k}) = \omega \tilde{\Phi} + i \tilde{\Pi}[/itex]
[itex]a^\dagger(\vec{k}) = \omega \tilde{\Phi} - i \tilde{\Pi}[/itex]

What I've described here is a scalar field. The case of the electromagnetic field is more complicated, but only because there are more components of the field.

The point is that in QFT, you are treating [itex]\Pi[/itex] and [itex]\Phi[/itex] as operators, in the same way that you treat [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] as operators in the single-particle case. The point about Fourier transforms is that the hamiltonian is much simpler after the transform, and the raising and lowering operators are related to the Fourier transforms of [itex]\Phi[/itex] and [itex]\Pi[/itex]

Likes Mentz114

Related to How Fourier components of vector potential becomes operators

1. How do Fourier components of vector potential become operators?

The Fourier components of a vector potential become operators through the process of Fourier transformation. This involves breaking down the vector potential into a series of sinusoidal functions, or Fourier components, and representing them as operators in quantum mechanics. These operators act on the wavefunction of a particle to determine its behavior in a given system.

2. What is the significance of using Fourier components as operators?

Using Fourier components as operators allows for a more precise and efficient mathematical description of quantum systems. It allows for the representation of complex wavefunctions in terms of simpler functions, making calculations and predictions easier to perform. Additionally, the use of operators allows for the incorporation of quantum mechanical principles, such as uncertainty and superposition, into the analysis of a system.

3. How are the Fourier components of vector potential related to the wavefunction of a particle?

The Fourier components of vector potential are related to the wavefunction of a particle through the Schrödinger equation. This equation describes how the wavefunction of a particle evolves over time, and it includes the vector potential as an operator. The Fourier components of the vector potential act on the wavefunction to determine its behavior and evolution in a given system.

4. Can Fourier components of vector potential be used to describe any quantum system?

Yes, Fourier components of vector potential can be used to describe any quantum system. This is because the operators derived from the Fourier components can be applied to any wavefunction to determine its behavior and properties. This allows for the analysis of a wide range of quantum systems, from simple particles to more complex systems, using the same mathematical framework.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier components as operators in quantum mechanics?

While Fourier components of vector potential are a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, there are some limitations to their use. One limitation is that they are most effective in describing systems with a well-defined momentum, such as free particles. They may not be as useful in describing systems with more complex potential energy functions. Additionally, the use of Fourier components as operators assumes that the system is in a state of definite momentum, which may not always be the case in reality.