How force works on two strings connected by a mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of pulling on two strings, A and B, with different weights and masses. It is determined that if string A is pulled slowly, string B will break first due to the additional weight of mg working on it. However, if string A is pulled quickly, it will break first due to the larger acceleration. This is explained using Newton's second law and the equation Fnet = ma.
Ezio3.1415
So if I slowly pull the A string first B string will tear apart... Cause the A string will expand and it will pull the mass and B string... So B string will reach its breaking weight before A... Cause B has an additional weight mg working on it..

But if I suddenly pull the A string,it will tear apart but the B string will remain intact... I am trying to understand why this happens... I mean what is the exact mechanism here?

Attachments

• tension.jpg
    tension.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Applying Newton's second law to the block we have

Fnet = ma
FA - FB + mg = ma
FA - FB = m(a-g).

If you pull it slowly, acceleration a is negligible and we get

FA - FB = -mg < 0
FA < FB

FB is larger.

But if you pull very fast than a is very large and we get

FA - FB = m(a-g) >0

FA > FB

FA is larger.

Likes 1 person
Thank you... :)

Related to How force works on two strings connected by a mass

1. How does tension affect the force on two strings connected by a mass?

When two strings are connected by a mass, the tension in each string is equal and opposite. This means that the force acting on the mass is the sum of the tension in both strings.

2. Does the length of the strings affect the force on the mass?

Yes, the length of the strings can affect the force on the mass. The longer the strings, the greater the distance between the two points of attachment, and thus the greater the tension in the strings. This results in a greater force acting on the mass.

3. How does the angle of the strings affect the force on the mass?

The angle of the strings can affect the force on the mass. The greater the angle between the strings, the greater the tension in the strings and thus the greater the force acting on the mass.

4. What is the relationship between the mass and the force on the strings?

The mass has a direct relationship with the force on the strings. The greater the mass, the greater the force required to support it and keep it in equilibrium. This means that the tension in the strings must also increase to counteract the force of gravity on the mass.

5. How does the strength of the strings impact the force on the mass?

The strength of the strings can impact the force on the mass. If the strings are not strong enough to support the weight of the mass, they may break or stretch, resulting in a decrease in tension and a decrease in the force acting on the mass.