How Fast Will the Object Be Falling When It Passes Ken's Window?

• Thread starter mt05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: In this case, F is the force of gravity on the object (m*g) and D is the distance the object falls (20.2 m). This gives us W=144.85 J.Using the formula W=FD again, this time with Ken's window at 5.00m as D, we get W=35.86 J.In summary, using the formulas for kinetic energy and work, we have found that the object will be falling at approximately 12 m/s as it passes by Ken's window.
mt05
hey everyone! I think this question can probably be solved using a constant acceleration formula, but since we are doing the momentum and work units in class i figured i was suppose to use those formulas to solve my question. anyways here it is :

Paul lives on the sixth floor of an apartment complex. His window is 20.2 m above the ground. Paul notices a 7.25 kg object falling past his window at 8.50 m/s. If Ken's window is 5.00m above the ground level, how fast will that same object be falling as it passes by Ken's window?

KE = 1/2(7.25)(8.50)^2
KE = 261.91
KE = W, W = FD, FD = 1/2mv^2final - 1/2mv^2initial

261.91 = 1/2(7.25)(v^2) - 1/2(7.25)(8.50)^2
261.91 = 3.625v^2 - 261.91
523.82/3.625 = v^2
vfinal = 12 m/s.
i know that is wrong, because when i put the numbers into the formula vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad i get 19.2 m/s which seems more reasonble. Is there anyway to figure this question out properly by using momentum/work ?
KE = W, W = FD, FD = 1/2mv^2final - 1/2mv^2initial ( this doesn't seem to make much sense either, but i thought i saw it on my formula sheet )
thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

mt05 said:
KE = 1/2(7.25)(8.50)^2
KE = 261.91
KE = W, W = FD, FD = 1/2mv^2final - 1/2mv^2initial

261.91 = 1/2(7.25)(v^2) - 1/2(7.25)(8.50)^2
261.91 = 3.625v^2 - 261.91
Work W is not equal to the initial KE, so it's wrong to simply plug in the initial KE of 262 J for W.

Instead, calculate what W=FD is by figuring out the values of F and D.

Possible response:

Hi there! It's great that you are trying to use different formulas to solve this question. However, it seems like you may be mixing up the concepts of kinetic energy and work. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. In this case, we are dealing with the motion of the falling object, so using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2 is the most appropriate approach.

To solve this question, we can use the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. In this case, the system is the falling object. So, at Paul's window, the object has a kinetic energy of 261.91 J. As it falls and passes by Ken's window, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases, but the total energy remains the same.

Therefore, we can set up the equation:

KE at Paul's window = KE at Ken's window

1/2(7.25)(8.50)^2 = 1/2(7.25)(vfinal)^2

Solving for vfinal, we get vfinal = 8.50 m/s.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of energy and how to approach this type of question. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Fast Will the Object Be Falling When It Passes Ken's Window?

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measurement of the rate at which an object's position changes. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity takes into account the direction of an object's movement, whereas speed only measures the magnitude of the movement. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is moving in different directions.

3. What units are used to measure velocity?

The standard unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s), but other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph) can also be used.

4. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

5. Can an object have a negative velocity?

Yes, an object can have a negative velocity if it is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction. For example, if a car is moving east and then turns around and starts moving west, its velocity would be negative in relation to its initial direction.