How Fast Should the Centrifuge Spin to Separate Red Blood Cells?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a centrifuge in determining the appropriate velocity for a red blood cell to settle out of plasma. The formula for calculating velocity is given but it is mentioned that it needs to be converted to revolutions per second. The question of whether to multiply or divide the distance the cell travels is raised, and further clarification is needed on how to calculate the velocity.
starfish794
A sample of blood is placed in a centrifuge of radius 19.0 cm. The mass of a red blood cell is 3.0 10-16 kg, and the magnitude of the force acting on it as it settles out of the plasma is 4.0 10-11 N. At how many revolutions per second should the centrifuge be operated?

I converted 19cm to .19m and then tried using F[c]=m*v(squared)/r but got the wrong answer. Is there a different formula I should be using or did i miss something else? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing wrong with that formula, but it gives you velocity--you need to convert to revolutions per second. (Hint: How far does the cell travel in one revolution?)

SO would you multipy or divide how far the cell travels to the velocity. my problem conatins a centrifuge with velocity 114 meters per second but my circumference is .86 meters. WHere do i go from there I am not too sure

Related to How Fast Should the Centrifuge Spin to Separate Red Blood Cells?

1. What is the definition of revolutions per second?

Revolutions per second, also known as angular velocity, is a unit of measurement that indicates the number of full rotations or cycles an object makes in one second.

2. How is revolutions per second calculated?

Revolutions per second can be calculated by dividing the total number of revolutions by the total amount of time it takes to complete those revolutions. The formula is: revolutions per second = total revolutions / total time.

3. How does revolutions per second differ from revolutions per minute?

The only difference between revolutions per second and revolutions per minute is the unit of time used. Revolutions per second measures the number of rotations in one second, while revolutions per minute measures the number of rotations in one minute.

4. What are some common objects or phenomena that are measured in revolutions per second?

Revolutions per second is commonly used to measure the rotational speed of objects such as engines, turbines, and wheels. It is also used to measure the frequency of sound waves and the rotation of celestial bodies.

5. How does revolutions per second relate to other units of angular velocity?

Revolutions per second can be converted into other units of angular velocity, such as radians per second or degrees per second, by using conversion factors. For example, one revolution per second is equal to 2π radians per second.