How Fast Should a Centrifuge Spin to Achieve Specific Acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves determining the rpm needed for a particle 7.0 cm from the axis of rotation to experience an acceleration of 1.2×10^5 g's. To solve it, the centripetal acceleration formula is used, which is equal to 4∏^2r/T^2. After solving for T, the period, it is converted to rpm by dividing 60 seconds by the period. The final answer is 39000 rpm.
bfusco

Homework Statement

How fast (in rpm) must a centrifuge rotate if a particle 7.0 cm from the axis of rotation is to experience an acceleration of 1.2×10^5 g's?

The Attempt at a Solution

well first i made 7 cm .07 m. then i changed acceleration to 1.18x10^6 m/s^2 by multiplying 1.2x10^5 g's by 9.8. at this point i no longer know what to do.

i am having trouble relating linear velocity, centripetal velocity, and angular velocity now. rpm means centripetal velocity, which is equal to 2πr/T, and i believe its centripetal velocity that equals rω. and acceleration = v^2/r nd i don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The centripetal acceleration for circular motion is, as you said, v2/r. Since v = ωr (ω is angular velocity), the centripetal acceleration can also be written as: acceleration = ω2r.

If you use your acceleration of 1.18*106 m/s2 and your given radius, you'll get an answer for ω in rads/sec. The answer they're looking for is in revs/minute. You'll have to do a couple unit conversions on your answer to translate it to the right units. Hope that helps.

bfusco said:

Homework Statement

How fast (in rpm) must a centrifuge rotate if a particle 7.0 cm from the axis of rotation is to experience an acceleration of 1.2×10^5 g's?

The Attempt at a Solution

well first i made 7 cm .07 m. then i changed acceleration to 1.18x10^6 m/s^2 by multiplying 1.2x10^5 g's by 9.8. at this point i no longer know what to do.

i am having trouble relating linear velocity, centripetal velocity, and angular velocity now. rpm means centripetal velocity, which is equal to 2πr/T, and i believe its centripetal velocity that equals rω. and acceleration = v^2/r nd i don't know where to go from there.

The centripetal acceleration is not only given by v2/R, but also 4∏2R/T2
where T is the period.

Frequency - revolutions per second - is the inverse of Period, and revolutions per second should be pretty easy to convert to revolutions per minute

ok...so using a=4∏^2r/T^2, i solved for T=√(4∏^2r/a)→√(4∏^2(.07)/117600) (the 117600 is 1.2x10^5 times 9.8). so i got T=.0015. next using the equation ω=v/r, i got ω=4099 rps→x60=245880 rpm. which is also wrong. the answer is 39000rpm. but how

bfusco said:
ok...so using a=4∏^2r/T^2, i solved for T=√(4∏^2r/a)→√(4∏^2(.07)/117600) (the 117600 is 1.2x10^5 times 9.8). so i got T=.0015. next using the equation ω=v/r, i got ω=4099 rps→x60=245880 rpm. which is also wrong. the answer is 39000rpm. but how

damn i got it, like stated before the answer of 4099 is in rad/sec, which when converted to rpm gives me 39000. damn, thanks guys

bfusco said:
damn i got it, like stated before the answer of 4099 is in rad/sec, which when converted to rpm gives me 39000. damn, thanks guys

The Period is how long it takes to do one revolution - you got 0.0015 sec [rounded off] .

AT that stage I would want to know "How many of them fit into 1 minute (60 Seconds)

so 60 divided by 0.0015 [not rounded off though] and there should be your answer without going via radians and ω !

Related to How Fast Should a Centrifuge Spin to Achieve Specific Acceleration?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity.

2. How is centripetal force related to angular velocity?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity of an object increases, so does the centripetal force required to keep it moving in a circular path.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the fictitious force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle. In reality, centrifugal force does not actually exist and is simply a result of the object's inertia.

5. What is the difference between tangential velocity and angular velocity?

Tangential velocity is the linear speed of an object along its circular path, while angular velocity is the rate at which the object rotates around a fixed point. Tangential velocity is a scalar quantity, while angular velocity is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.