How Fast Must a Laser Move to Exceed Light Speed on the Moon's Surface?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser Moon
In summary: I realized that the moon is orbiting the earth, so the distance to the moon is not constant. So I'm not sure how to solve this problem now.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the necessary degree per second movement of a laser to break the speed of light barrier while touching the moon. Two methods are presented, with one using a right triangle and the other using angular velocity. It is determined that the first method is less accurate due to not considering units, and the second method yields a more accurate answer. However, there is a discrepancy due to the changing distance of the moon as it orbits the earth.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

So basically I'm given the distance to the moon (384,000,000 meters), and I need to find out how many degrees per second I'd need to move the laser for the spot touching the moon to move faster than the speed of light.

Homework Equations

[itex]w=\frac{v}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two ways of doing this and they both give me different answers.
The easy way I thought of would be to make a right triangle with the x being the distance to the moon, and the y being the distance light travels in a second. Then finding the angle of such a triangle gave me [itex]\frac{299,792,458}{384,000,000}=tanθ[/itex], and then I took the inverse tangent to find the angle, which is 38°. So the answer would be 38° per second I'd have to move the laser for the end of the beam to move faster than the speed of light. Well, I'd have to move it any amount greater than that to break the light barrier.

The other way I used angular velocity, which is [itex]w=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{299,792,458}{384,000,000}=0.78[/itex] radians per second, and then I multiply that by 57.3 to turn it into degrees, which gives me 44.8° per second. One of these is wrong. Possibly both. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first method you are solving for θ.

This is just an angle (degrees, radians). What you want is radians / second.

So, from just the unit standpoint, the second way returns the correct answer

Jufro said:
Your first method you are solving for θ.

This is just an angle (degrees, radians). What you want is radians / second.

So, from just the unit standpoint, the second way returns the correct answer

The first way is solving for θ, but it's solving for the angle where the opposite side is the distance light travels in a second. So wouldn't that be degrees per second?

The problem asks for degrees per second, that's why I converted to degrees.

tanθ doesn't have any units and therefore tan inverse would give you just angle.
A better approach would be through differentiation of ##x/3.84*10^7=tanθ## and Differentiating wrt time

Tanθ has no units. So, dividing as you did does not make sense.

Again, I am not sure about the equation from the second method, but the first method does not work out.

**Edit**
What Enigman said

leroyjenkens said:

Homework Statement

So basically I'm given the distance to the moon (384,000,000 meters), and I need to find out how many degrees per second I'd need to move the laser for the spot touching the moon to move faster than the speed of light.

Homework Equations

[itex]w=\frac{v}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two ways of doing this and they both give me different answers.
The easy way I thought of would be to make a right triangle with the x being the distance to the moon, and the y being the distance light travels in a second. Then finding the angle of such a triangle gave me [itex]\frac{299,792,458}{384,000,000}=\tan\theta[/itex], and then I took the inverse tangent to find the angle, which is 38°. So the answer would be 38° per second I'd have to move the laser for the end of the beam to move faster than the speed of light. Well, I'd have to move it any amount greater than that to break the light barrier.

The other way I used angular velocity, which is [itex]w=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{299,792,458}{384,000,000}=0.78[/itex] radians per second, and then I multiply that by 57.3 to turn it into degrees, which gives me 44.8° per second. One of these is wrong. Possibly both. Any suggestions?
It turns out your first method is less accurate. You could do a similar calculation based on the same idea, however. The radius of the moon is 1740 km, so half the angle the moon subtends is ##\theta=\tan^{-1} \frac{1740}{384000}##. The time it would take the spot to move one moon radius is ##t = 1740/300000\text{ s}##. You should find that ##\theta/t = 43^\circ## per second, which agrees with what you got with your second method.

So why do you suppose your first method didn't yield an accurate result?

leroyjenkens said:
The first way is solving for θ, but it's solving for the angle where the opposite side is the distance light travels in a second. So wouldn't that be degrees per second?
No, it's not. You dropped the units. Don't do that. With units intact, here's what you attempted to solve for by your first method:
[tex]\frac{299,792,458\,m/s}{384,000,000\,m} \approx 0.7807\,s^{-1} = \tan\theta[/tex]
The left hand side has units of inverse time but the right hand side is dimensionless. That's inconsistent dimensionally, so it's wrong. Period.

Don't discard units. They provide a nice sanity check to see if you are on the wrong track.

D H said:
No, it's not. You dropped the units. Don't do that. With units intact, here's what you attempted to solve for by your first method:
[tex]\frac{299,792,458\,m/s}{384,000,000\,m} = 0.7807\,s^{-1} = \tan\theta[/tex]
The left hand side has units of inverse time but the right hand side is dimensionless. That's inconsistent dimensionally, so it's wrong. Period.

Don't discard units. They provide a nice sanity check to see if you are on the wrong track.
He didn't drop the units. (Well, he dropped the units, but his mistake isn't the one you think he made.) He said that y was the distance light travels in one second. It's the same time he used to divide the angle he calculated to find the angular speed.

Last edited:
Good point. So, leroyjenkins, what is your answer to vela's question in post #6?

Thanks for the responses, guys.
So why do you suppose your first method didn't yield an accurate result?
Well, I was initially skeptical if I could create a right triangle for this problem. I'm guessing the reason I got the wrong answer is that I can't do that? I guess maybe because the hypotenuse is going to be longer than the adjacent side, which I'm not supposed to have. I'm not exactly sure why though.
I was thinking about this problem on the way home from school. I was going to use it to check my original answer, which was done using the angular speed formula.

leroyjenkens said:
I was thinking about this problem on the way home from school.
Suppose that you have to cross some railroad tracks on the way home, and today you got stuck behind the crossing guard. To pass the time you decide to keep your eye on the locomotive as long as you can. How fast do you need to turn your head when the locomotive crosses in front of you? How about when the train has almost finished crossing the road and the locomotive is far away?

Thanks. I'm going to read through that when I get home from work tomorrow. This is the kinda stuff that got me into physics. Unfortunately, there's a few physics classes I have to take that I'm not interested in.
Suppose that you have to cross some railroad tracks on the way home, and today you got stuck behind the crossing guard. To pass the time you decide to keep your eye on the locomotive as long as you can. How fast do you need to turn your head when the locomotive crosses in front of you? How about when the train has almost finished crossing the road and the locomotive is far away?
I'd have to turn my head the speed of the locomotive when it's directly in front of me. When it's far off to my left or right, I don't need to turn my head very fast at all.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but my right triangle answer is wrong because I need to create an arc, not a flat side of a triangle, which means I can't use a right triangle. The arc will make the spot of light travel the same speed the entire duration of movement, while the right triangle will have the spot of light traveling at a decreasing speed as it climbs to the top of the opposite side of that triangle.

leroyjenkens said:
So correct me if I'm wrong, but my right triangle answer is wrong because I need to create an arc, not a flat side of a triangle, which means I can't use a right triangle.
You can use a triangle, not just the big honkin' triangle that you used. For example, if you had used a time of one microsecond instead of one second you would have been fine. For small values of θ, tan θ ≈ θ.

Related to How Fast Must a Laser Move to Exceed Light Speed on the Moon's Surface?

1. How does a laser move across the moon?

A laser moving across the moon is achieved through the use of precision optics and a laser beam pointing system that directs the beam of light towards the desired location on the moon's surface.

2. Why do scientists use lasers to study the moon?

Lasers are used to study the moon because they offer a highly precise and focused source of light that can be used to measure distances and gather data on the composition and surface features of the moon.

3. How far can a laser travel across the moon?

The distance a laser can travel across the moon depends on the strength and quality of the laser, but it can typically travel several kilometers before losing its intensity.

4. What kind of information can be gathered from a laser moving across the moon?

Laser measurements can provide information on the topography of the moon's surface, the composition and properties of the lunar soil, and the distance between different points on the moon's surface.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with using lasers on the moon?

While lasers are generally considered safe for use in scientific research, there is a risk of eye damage if proper safety precautions are not taken. Additionally, lasers can potentially interfere with sensitive equipment on spacecraft and rovers, so careful coordination and communication is necessary when using lasers on the moon.