How Fast Does a Coin Travel Down a 30-Degree Ramp After 1 Meter?

• Thread starter eddybob123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp Speed
In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a coin sliding down a ramp angled at 30∘ with respect to the horizontal after sliding 1 m. Using the kinematic equations for uniform acceleration, it can be solved by finding the acceleration from the given formula and then using the equation v = v0+at, where v0 is the initial velocity (which is 0 since the coin starts from rest), a is the acceleration, and t is the time displacement (which can be found using the given distance and the kinematic equation d = d0+v0t+at^2/2). Alternatively, one can use calculus to solve the problem.
eddybob123

Homework Statement

A coin slides down a ramp angled at 30∘ with respect to the horizontal. If the coin starts from rest, what is its speed in m/s after sliding 1 m?

Homework Equations

The acceleration of an object on a ramp is a=mg*sin(x), where g=9.8 m/s^2 and x is the angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the acceleration of the coin is 4.9 m/s^2. that means that in the first second it will be traveling at 4.9 m/s, the second second will be 9.8 m/s, then third second 14.7 m/s, etc. However I don't know how to calculate the speed when the time is not an integer. For example, what is the speed of the coin after 2.3 seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
eddybob123 said:

Homework Statement

A coin slides down a ramp angled at 30∘ with respect to the horizontal. If the coin starts from rest, what is its speed in m/s after sliding 1 m?

Homework Equations

The acceleration of an object on a ramp is a=mg*sin(x), where g=9.8 m/s^2 and x is the angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the acceleration of the coin is 4.9 m/s^2. that means that in the first second it will be traveling at 4.9 m/s, the second second will be 9.8 m/s, then third second 14.7 m/s, etc. However I don't know how to calculate the speed when the time is not an integer. For example, what is the speed of the coin after 2.3 seconds?
See if the equation v = 4.9 t is consistent with your calculations. What if t is not an integer? Can the equation still be used?

So what you're saying is that the speed of the object is equal to gt, where g is the acceleration and t is the time displacement. Hmmm... makes sense; the units agree and everything. Why didn't I think of that before?
So how do I know when the coin has slid 1 meter? Seems like a calculus problem upon inspection.

Last edited:
eddybob123 said:
So what you're saying is that the speed of the object is equal to gt, where g is the acceleration and t is the time displacement. Hmmm... makes sense; the units agree and everything. Why didn't I think of that before?
So how do I know when the coin has slid 1 meter? Seems like a calculus problem upon inspection.
It is a calculus problem.

So how would you recommend doing it as a beginner?

eddybob123 said:
So how would you recommend doing it as a beginner?

From your profile, I see your favorite area is calculus. If you don't want to use calculus, I guess you can use the formulas:

v = v0+at

d = d0+v0t+at2/2

By now, you should have become familiar with the kinematic equations for uniform acceleration. You already solved for the acceleration, you are given the distance, it starts from rest, and you want to find its speed after traveling that distance. See

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

For the record, you responded
So what you're saying is that the speed of the object is equal to gt, where g is the acceleration and t is the time displacement.
You mean to say v = at, not v = gt.

Related to How Fast Does a Coin Travel Down a 30-Degree Ramp After 1 Meter?

1. How do you calculate the speed of a coin on a ramp?

To calculate the speed of a coin on a ramp, you will need to measure the distance the coin travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the speed in meters per second (m/s).

2. Why is it important to solve for speed on a ramp?

Solving for speed on a ramp allows us to understand the motion and behavior of objects on inclined surfaces. This knowledge can be applied to real-world situations, such as designing safer ramps for wheelchairs or measuring the speed of objects on roller coasters.

3. What factors affect the speed of a coin on a ramp?

The speed of a coin on a ramp can be affected by various factors, such as the angle of the ramp, the surface of the ramp, the mass of the coin, and any external forces acting on the coin, such as friction or air resistance.

4. How can friction impact the speed of a coin on a ramp?

Friction can slow down the speed of a coin on a ramp by creating resistance against the coin's motion. This resistance is caused by the contact between the coin and the surface of the ramp, which can vary depending on the smoothness of the surface and the material of the coin.

5. Can the speed of a coin on a ramp be greater than the speed of a coin on a flat surface?

Yes, the speed of a coin on a ramp can be greater than the speed of a coin on a flat surface if the ramp is steep enough. This is because the ramp allows the coin to accelerate downwards due to the force of gravity, while on a flat surface the coin would only have its initial speed and would not gain any additional speed.