How Fast Do Two Identical Spheres Travel When They Meet in Space?

• Thread starter Psyguy22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spheres
In summary, two identical 28.5-kg spheres located 35.3 cm apart (center-to-center distance) and at rest in outer space will have a speed of 6.131*10^-5 m/s when they first make contact as they fall towards each other due to the gravitational force acting on each mass. The velocity was calculated using the equations for kinetic and potential energy and the center-to-center distance given in the problem.
Psyguy22

Homework Statement

Two identical 28.5-kg spheres of radius 12.1 cm are 35.3 cm apart (center-to-center distance) and at rest in outer space. (You can assume that the only force acting on each mass is the gravitational force due to the other mass.)

a) If they are released from rest and allowed to fall toward one another, what is their speed when they first make contact?

Homework Equations

ΔE=ΔK+ΔU=0
K=.5mv^2
U=-Gm1m2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Well ΔK would equal
[itex] M*v_i ^2-M*v_f ^2 [/itex] (because both are moving the 1/2's cancel out)
and ΔU is
[itex] -Gm_1 m_2 / r_i - (-Gm_1 m_2 / r_f) [/itex]

So solved for v I get
[itex] v= sqrt(-G m_2 / r_1 + G m_2 / r_2)[/itex]
which came out to be 6.131*10^-5 m/s which isn't right... I don't see where I went wrong/

Physics news on Phys.org
Psyguy22 said:

Homework Statement

Two identical 28.5-kg spheres of radius 12.1 cm are 35.3 cm apart (center-to-center distance) and at rest in outer space. (You can assume that the only force acting on each mass is the gravitational force due to the other mass.)

a) If they are released from rest and allowed to fall toward one another, what is their speed when they first make contact?

Homework Equations

ΔE=ΔK+ΔU=0
K=.5mv^2
U=-Gm1m2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Well ΔK would equal
[itex] M*v_i ^2-M*v_f ^2 [/itex] (because both are moving the 1/2's cancel out)
and ΔU is
[itex] -Gm_1 m_2 / r_i - (-Gm_1 m_2 / r_f) [/itex]

So solved for v I get
[itex] v= sqrt(-G m_2 / r_1 + G m_2 / r_2)[/itex]
which came out to be 6.131*10^-5 m/s which isn't right... I don't see where I went wrong/

I can not see either, if you do not show your work in detail. What have you used for r1 and r2?

ehild

For r1 I have .121+.353+.121 which is .595 m
for r2, it's just .242 m

your value for r1 should just be .353 (like point masses) and you're correct that r2 is .242 (distance between centers of mass at collision). The spheres will not have much velocity, as gravity is a very weak force, so it shouldn't be surprising that the value is relatively small

Psyguy22 said:
For r1 I have .121+.353+.121 which is .595 m
for r2, it's just .242 m

The center-to center distance was given as 0.353 m , so r1=0.353.

ehild

Related to How Fast Do Two Identical Spheres Travel When They Meet in Space?

What is meant by "Two Spheres coming together"?

Two spheres coming together refers to the physical collision or interaction of two spherical objects. This can occur in various contexts, such as in physics experiments or astronomical events.

How does the collision of two spheres affect their motion?

The collision of two spheres can affect their motion in several ways. If the collision is elastic, meaning there is no loss of kinetic energy, the spheres will bounce off each other and continue moving in their original directions. If the collision is inelastic, meaning there is some loss of kinetic energy, the spheres will stick together and move in a new direction or come to a complete stop.

What factors influence the outcome of a collision between two spheres?

The outcome of a collision between two spheres is influenced by factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of approach of the spheres, as well as the elasticity of the materials they are made of. Other external factors, such as air resistance, can also play a role.

What are some real-world examples of two spheres coming together?

Some real-world examples of two spheres coming together include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, planets or moons colliding in space, and particles colliding in particle accelerators in physics experiments.

How is the collision of two spheres studied in science?

The collision of two spheres is studied in science through experiments, mathematical models, and simulations. Scientists can manipulate the variables involved in a collision to observe and analyze the resulting outcomes and use this data to develop theories and laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion.