How Fast Can a Trebuchet Fling a Light Object?

In summary, a trebuchet is a medieval device used to throw rocks at castles and can now also fling pumpkins and pianos. A simple trebuchet consists of a stiff rod with particles of mass 60.0 kg and 0.120 kg at its ends, connected by a frictionless horizontal axle 14.0 cm from the larger mass. When released horizontally, the smaller mass reaches a maximum speed. To solve for this, equations for the moment of inertia and center of mass velocity are used, but further calculations are needed.
KvnBushi

Homework Statement

A war-wolf, or trebuchet, is a device used during the Middle Ages to throw rocks at castles and now sometimes used to fling pumpkins and pianos. A simple trebuchet is shown in Figure P8.77. Model it as a stiff rod of negligible mass 3.00 m long and joining particles of mass 60.0 kg and 0.120 kg at its ends. It can turn on a frictionless horizontal axle perpendicular to the rod and 14.0 cm from the particle of larger mass. The rod is released from rest in a horizontal orientation. Find the maximum speed that the object of smaller mass attains.
Pic: www.s-consolidated.com/graphics/trebuchet.jpg[/URL]

[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2} I_{cm} w^2 + \frac{1}{2} M v_{cm}^2[/tex]

[h2]The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]

I am not even sure how to model it yet. I will attempt some things and write them as I go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I_{cm} = (M + m) * l^2/12where M is the 60kg, m is the 0.12kg and l is 3mI_{cm} = 20.25 kg*m^2v_{cm} = (M + m)*v/(M + m)v_{cm} = vK = \frac{1}{2} I_{cm} w^2 + \frac{1}{2} M v_{cm}^2 K = \frac{1}{2} * 20.25 * w^2 + \frac{1}{2} * 60 * v^2I am not sure where to go from here.

I can provide a response to this content by analyzing the principles of rotational kinetic energy and applying them to the given scenario. The trebuchet is a mechanical device that uses rotational energy to launch projectiles, and in this case, the projectile is the object of smaller mass at the end of the rod.

To model this trebuchet, I will start by considering the rotational kinetic energy equation, K = (1/2)Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. In this case, the rod can be treated as a stiff rod with negligible mass, so the moment of inertia can be approximated as (1/3)ML^2, where M is the total mass and L is the length of the rod.

Next, I will consider the translational kinetic energy of the object of smaller mass, which can be calculated using the equation K = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. Since the object is attached to the end of the rod, its velocity will be related to the angular velocity of the rod through the equation v = ωr, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

Now, I can use the given information about the trebuchet to solve for the maximum speed of the object of smaller mass. The rod is released from rest, so the initial angular velocity is zero. Using the conservation of energy, I can equate the initial potential energy of the rod to the final kinetic energy of the object of smaller mass.

PEinitial = KEfinal

mgh = (1/2)Iω^2 + (1/2)mv^2

Substituting in the expressions for the moment of inertia and velocity, I get:

mgh = (1/6)ML^2ω^2 + (1/2)m(ωr)^2

Solving for the maximum speed, v, I get:

v = ωr = √(2gh/3)

Using the given values, I get a maximum speed of approximately 3.5 m/s for the object of smaller mass. This means that the trebuchet is capable of launching the object at a considerable speed, which could cause significant damage to a castle or other target.

In conclusion, by applying the principles of rotational kinetic energy and using the given information about the trebuchet, I was

Related to How Fast Can a Trebuchet Fling a Light Object?

1. What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a type of medieval siege weapon that uses a counterweight to launch projectiles at high speeds. It was commonly used in battles and sieges during the Middle Ages.

2. How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using a counterweight to pull down one end of a long arm, while the other end holds the projectile. When the counterweight is released, the arm swings upwards, propelling the projectile forward.

3. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy refers to the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. In the case of a trebuchet, the counterweight's rotation generates the energy needed to launch the projectile.

4. How is rotational kinetic energy related to trebuchet design?

The design of a trebuchet is crucial in maximizing its rotational kinetic energy. Factors such as the length of the arm, weight of the counterweight, and angle of release all affect the amount of energy that can be transferred to the projectile.

5. What are some modern applications of trebuchets and rotational kinetic energy?

While trebuchets are no longer used as weapons, they have been used in modern times for purposes such as pumpkin chunkin' competitions and educational demonstrations. The principles of rotational kinetic energy are also utilized in various machines such as turbines and engines.