How Fast Can a 1967 Corvette Go Using Full Power in 6 Seconds?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1967 Corvette with a weight of 3020 lbs and a 427 cu-in engine rated at 435 hp at 5400 rpm. The problem asks for the car's speed after 6 seconds if the engine used all 435 hp at 100% efficiency during acceleration, and the average acceleration in "g"s. The conversation includes two attempts at finding a solution, one using P= (fd)/t and the other using P = W/t, but both attempts result in incorrect answers. The conversation also mentions considering the efficiency rate and the chemical energy from the fuel, but it is unclear how to incorporate these factors into the solution.
scytherz

Homework Statement

A 1967 Corvette has a weight of 3020 lbs. The 427 cu-in engine was rated at 435 hp at 5400 rpm. a) If the engine used all 435 hp at 100% efficiency during acceleration, what speed would the car attain after 6 seconds? b) What is the average acceleration? (in “g”s).

Homework Equations

P= W/t
ke =.5mv^2
1 hp = 746 W = 550 ft lb/s

The Attempt at a Solution

P= (fd)/t , since f = Mg, P= MgV,
P= 435 hp = 324 510 kg m^2/s^2 (W) = Mgv = 1372.73 kg(9.8m/s^2)(v)
i got v= 24/6 = 4.02m/s.. converting to mph, ans is 8.99 mph... which is wrong.. the ans.. is 120mph...

I also tried using P = W/t , by finding the work, w= pt, w= 1 947 060 Nm, then substitute on k= mv^2, but still wrong...

I don't where did i go wrong, but do i still to put into consideration the 427 cu in engine and the efficiency rate or just ignore it??

Physics news on Phys.org
scytherz said:

The Attempt at a Solution

P= (fd)/t , since f = Mg, P= MgV,
P= 435 hp = 324 510 kg m^2/s^2 (W) = Mgv = 1372.73 kg(9.8m/s^2)(v)
i got v= 24/6 = 4.02m/s.. converting to mph, ans is 8.99 mph... which is wrong.. the ans.. is 120mph...

I also tried using P = W/t , by finding the work, w= pt, w= 1 947 060 Nm, then substitute on k= mv^2, but still wrong...

I don't where did i go wrong, but do i still to put into consideration the 427 cu in engine and the efficiency rate or just ignore it??

Your first attempt makes no sense at all. The engine does no work against gravity, but
all the work goes into increasing the kinetic energy. f is not equal to Mg.
Your second attempt should work, but the kinetic energy is (1/2)mv^2

willem2 said:
Your first attempt makes no sense at all. The engine does no work against gravity, but
all the work goes into increasing the kinetic energy. f is not equal to Mg.
Your second attempt should work, but the kinetic energy is (1/2)mv^2

Ive tried that.. but since the 427 in cu engine contains fuel to run the car, i assumed that this chemical energy will transform to kinetic energy when moving (since burning 1 L of gasoline is equal to 3.5 x10^7 j/s , so I substituted it in the formula, and still got a wrong answer... does my thoughts of using the fuel as the kinetic energy wrong? if so, what would be the best way to approach in this problem...

Related to How Fast Can a 1967 Corvette Go Using Full Power in 6 Seconds?

What is the problem with power in automobiles?

The main problem with power in automobiles is the increasing demand for fuel efficiency and reduced emissions. This has led to the need for more efficient and cleaner power sources.

What are the different power sources used in automobiles?

The most common power sources used in automobiles are internal combustion engines (gasoline or diesel), hybrid engines (combination of gasoline/diesel and electric motors), and fully electric motors.

How do power sources affect the performance of automobiles?

The type of power source used greatly affects the performance of automobiles. Internal combustion engines are known for their power and acceleration, but can be less fuel efficient and produce more emissions. Hybrid and electric motors are more efficient and produce fewer emissions, but may have less power and shorter driving ranges.

What advancements have been made to improve power in automobiles?

There have been many advancements made in the automotive industry to improve power in automobiles. These include the development of more efficient and powerful engines, as well as the use of alternative fuels such as biofuels and hydrogen. There has also been a focus on developing more advanced hybrid and electric technologies.

How can consumers help address the problem of power in automobiles?

Consumers can help address the problem of power in automobiles by choosing more fuel-efficient and eco-friendly vehicles. This can include opting for hybrid or electric models, or choosing vehicles with smaller engines and better fuel economy ratings. Regular maintenance and proper driving habits can also help improve the power and efficiency of automobiles.