How fast are we traveling around the galaxy?

• Thread starter kens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxy
In summary, the question is asking for the speed at which we are traveling around the galactic center, given that we are located 28000 light-years away and orbit the center every 230 million years. The formula for speed is distance divided by time, and we need to convert the time unit of 230 million years to a distance unit such as kilometers in order to solve the problem. The units for speed specified in the question are km/hr and mi/hr. It is important to understand the concept of units to correctly solve this problem.
kens
heya all, i need some help on a homework question.

Here is the question--
We are located about 28000 light-years from the galactic center and we orbit the center once every 230 million years. How fast are we traveling around the galaxy? Give your answer in both km/hr and mi/hr.

Okay, i know that we are trying to find the Speed.
So speed = distance/time.

so, 28000LYR/230 millions years = speed km

my question is, since i know that 1LYR= 9.5x10^12 km,
how do i change the 230 million years to km?... so i can do the problem?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kens said:
heya all, i need some help on a homework question.
Henceforth, post your homework questions in the Homework & coursework subform (this would go in Intro Physics).
Here is the question--
We are located about 28000 light-years from the galactic center and we orbit the center once every 230 million years. How fast are we traveling around the galaxy? Give your answer in both km/hr and mi/hr.

Okay, i know that we are trying to find the Speed.
So speed = distance/time.
What distance is this? What does it mean when it says we are orbiting the galactic center?

so, 28000LYR/230 millions years = speed km
Read the question again. What are the units for speed that are specified in the question? km is a unit of distance, so it can not be a unit for speed as well. I suggest you go over the chapter on units carefully, to make sure you understand how they work.

I can provide the following response:

To answer this question, we first need to convert the distance of 28000 light-years to kilometers. As you correctly stated, 1 light-year is equal to 9.5x10^12 kilometers. Therefore, 28000 light-years is equivalent to 2.66x10^17 kilometers.

Next, we need to convert the time of 230 million years to hours. To do this, we can use the fact that 1 year is equal to 365.25 days and 1 day is equal to 24 hours. Therefore, 230 million years is equal to 230,000,000 x 365.25 x 24 = 5.05x10^15 hours.

Now, we can plug these values into the formula for speed: speed = distance/time. This gives us:

Speed = (2.66x10^17 km)/(5.05x10^15 hours) = 5.27x10^10 km/hr

To convert this to miles per hour, we can use the conversion factor of 1 km = 0.621371 mi. Therefore, the speed in miles per hour is:

Speed = (5.27x10^10 km/hr) x (0.621371 mi/km) = 3.28x10^10 mi/hr

So, we can say that we are traveling around the galaxy at a speed of approximately 5.27x10^10 kilometers per hour or 3.28x10^10 miles per hour. This is a very fast speed and highlights the vast distances and time scales involved in studying our galaxy. I hope this helps with your homework question!

Related to How fast are we traveling around the galaxy?

1. How fast is the Earth moving around the galaxy?

The Earth is moving around the galaxy at an average speed of 828,000 km/h or 514,500 mph.

2. What is the speed of the Sun as it travels around the galaxy?

The Sun is moving around the galaxy at an average speed of 828,000 km/h or 514,500 mph, just like the Earth.

3. How fast is the Milky Way galaxy moving through space?

The Milky Way galaxy is moving through space at a speed of approximately 600 km/s or 1.3 million mph.

4. How fast is our solar system moving compared to other galaxies?

Our solar system is moving at a relatively slow speed compared to other galaxies, as we are part of the Milky Way galaxy and are moving at the same speed as it. However, the Milky Way itself is moving at a high speed compared to other galaxies in our local group.

5. Is the speed of our galaxy constant?

No, the speed of our galaxy is not constant. It is constantly changing due to the gravitational pull of other galaxies and dark matter, as well as the expansion of the universe.