How Far Will a Race Car Travel After Running Out of Gas?

In summary, a 10 000 kg race car traveling at 10.0 m/s comes to a halt when its gas runs out. To calculate the distance it travels before stopping, the equations F=ma and v2^2-v1^2=2ad can be used, but this requires knowing the coefficient of friction and retarding acceleration. Without this information, it is not possible to solve the problem.
irNewton

Homework Statement

A race car with the weight of 10 000 kg is traveling at 10.0 m/s when it's gas runs out. How far will this race car travel till it reaches an absolute halt?

Homework Equations

F=ma
v2^2-v1^2=2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn= 490 000N
v2^2-v1^2/2d= a

and I tried to sub that for a in F=ma, but got no where =/

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not providing the enough information.
1) What is the frictional force?
- How you get frictional force provided that normal force is given?
2) So what is retarding acceleration?

Find that acceleration before doing anything. Don't try to solve it all in one single step.

Hi, well we aren't given the coefficient of friction which makes this question ten times harder -.-
Or I could have easily figured this out myself...

Related to How Far Will a Race Car Travel After Running Out of Gas?

1. What is the definition of "Intro Physics Question with too many unknowns"?

"Intro Physics Question with too many unknowns" refers to a problem or question in physics that has multiple variables or quantities that are unknown and need to be solved.

2. Why are physics questions with too many unknowns challenging?

Physics questions with too many unknowns can be challenging because they require a thorough understanding of the relevant concepts and principles, as well as the ability to manipulate equations and solve for multiple variables simultaneously.

3. How can I approach solving an intro physics question with too many unknowns?

One approach to solving an intro physics question with too many unknowns is to start by identifying and organizing all known values and equations. Then, use algebraic manipulation and substitution to solve for the unknown quantities.

4. Are there any tips for tackling intro physics questions with too many unknowns?

Yes, some tips for tackling intro physics questions with too many unknowns include breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts, checking units and dimensions, and practicing with similar problems to improve problem-solving skills.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics to better tackle questions with too many unknowns?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic concepts and principles, as well as to practice solving problems consistently. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in improving your understanding and problem-solving skills.