How Far Will a Car Slide Uphill vs Downhill When Braking?

• Thread starter domagoj412
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Hill
In summary: Good job!In summary, the problem involves a car driving at a speed of 60 km/h up a 17° incline. The driver suddenly stops when they see a barrier and starts to slide. With a coefficient of friction of 0.6, the distance between the breaking point and when the car stops is 16.34 m uphill and 50.31 m downhill.
domagoj412

Homework Statement

Car is driving up the hill with speed of 60 km/h. Angle of incline is 17°. Seeing barrier on the road, the driver suddenly stops (breaks the wheels) and starts to slide. If koef. of fiction is [tex]\mu[/tex]=0.6 what is the distance between breaking point and the point when cars stops. Solve the problem with the same parameters when the car is driving down the hill.

(I hope you understand the question, it is a little difficult for me to translate it...)

Homework Equations

Again, I solve it but I'm not sure if is correct..

The Attempt at a Solution

Uphill:
Ek = Ep + Fk*s
1/2 mv^2 = mgh + [tex]\mu[/tex]*m*g*cos([tex]\alpha[/tex])*s
(h = s * sin([tex]\alpha[/tex]))
s = 32,7 m

Downhill:
Ek + Ep = Fk*s

Physics news on Phys.org
domagoj412 said:

Homework Statement

Car is driving up the hill with speed of 60 km/h. Angle of incline is 17°. Seeing barrier on the road, the driver suddenly stops (breaks the wheels) and starts to slide. If koef. of fiction is [tex]\mu[/tex]=0.6 what is the distance between breaking point and the point when cars stops. Solve the problem with the same parameters when the car is driving down the hill.

(I hope you understand the question, it is a little difficult for me to translate it...)

Homework Equations

Again, I solve it but I'm not sure if is correct..

The Attempt at a Solution

Uphill:
Ek = Ep + Fk*s
1/2 mv^2 = mgh + [tex]\mu[/tex]*m*g*cos([tex]\alpha[/tex])*s
(h = s * sin([tex]\alpha[/tex]))
s = 32,7 m

Downhill:
Ek + Ep = Fk*s

Your equations are correct. But the calculation appears to be incorrect. Probably you have not converted km/h into m/s. Try once again and finish both calculations.

Yes, I got the different result:

16.34 m for uphill and 50.31 m for downhill.

domagoj412 said:
Yes, I got the different result:

16.34 m for uphill and 50.31 m for downhill.

Your answer is correct now.

Related to How Far Will a Car Slide Uphill vs Downhill When Braking?

What is the science behind a car driving up a hill?

The basic physics behind a car driving up a hill involves overcoming the force of gravity with the car's engine power. The car's engine provides the necessary torque to rotate the wheels and propel the car forward, even when going uphill.

How does the weight of a car affect its ability to drive up a hill?

The weight of a car does have an impact on its ability to drive up a hill. A heavier car will require more engine power to overcome the force of gravity and drive up the hill. This is why smaller, lighter cars tend to perform better on hilly terrain.

What factors can affect a car's performance when driving up a hill?

Aside from weight, other factors that can affect a car's performance when driving up a hill include the incline of the hill, the condition of the road (e.g. slippery or uneven surfaces), and the car's transmission and engine power.

How can a driver improve their car's performance when driving up a hill?

To improve a car's performance when driving up a hill, a driver can try shifting to a lower gear to increase engine power, maintaining a steady speed, and avoiding sudden accelerations. It also helps to have a well-maintained car with a powerful engine and properly inflated tires.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when driving up a hill?

Yes, when driving up a hill, it is important to maintain a safe speed and to keep a safe distance from other cars. It is also important to be aware of any potential hazards on the road, such as sharp curves or steep inclines. It may also be necessary to use the car's brakes more frequently when going downhill to control the speed and avoid overheating the brakes.