How Far Should an Object Be Placed from a Concave Mirror to Halve Its Size?

• Thread starter skg94
  • Start date
In summary, the two given problems involve using the equations 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and m = hi/ho = -di/do to find the distance of an object from a concave mirror and the radius of curvature of the mirror. The first problem can be solved by setting the magnification to 1/2 and solving for the distance, which gives a result of 15cm. The second problem involves using the given magnification and distance to solve for the radius of curvature, resulting in a value of 1.7cm. The equations used are 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and m = hi/ho = -di/do.
skg94

Homework Statement

1. A student wishes to place an object in front of a concave mirror in order to produce an image one-half the object's size. If the focal length of the mirror is 5.0cm, how far from the mirror should the object be placed? ANS : 15 cm.

2.An object is placed 2.0cm beyond the centre of curvatur of a concave mirror. If the magnification of this object is 0.30 what is the radius of curvature of this mirror. ANS: 1.7cm

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di
m = hi/ho = -di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I believe these are questions where you have to combine two formulas, i don't know how to go about it, I am not asking for full work, if oyu decide to show full steps, I am trying to figure it out and i can't seem to do it, can someone start me off on the right track? Or if I am overthinking it put me on the right track.

1) 1/2ho/ho= f-do/do
1/2do=-f-do
2do=-2f
which would be -5, which isn't right.

Physics news on Phys.org
skg94 said:

Homework Statement

1. A student wishes to place an object in front of a concave mirror in order to produce an image one-half the object's size. If the focal length of the mirror is 5.0cm, how far from the mirror should the object be placed? ANS : 15 cm.

2.An object is placed 2.0cm beyond the centre of curvatur of a concave mirror. If the magnification of this object is 0.30 what is the radius of curvature of this mirror. ANS: 1.7cm

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di
m = hi/ho = -di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 1/2ho/ho= f-do/do
1/2do=-f-do
2do=-2f
which would be -5, which isn't right.

What do you mean with equation (1)? ho/ho=1 and do/do=1, so eq(1) is equivalent to 1/2=f-1 which is obviously wrong.

ehild

well hi is half of ho which makes it 1/2ho, so i replaced hi with 1/2ho
and i replaced di with f-do from

f=do+di

skg94 said:
f=do+di
No, 1/f = 1/do+1/di. That's quite different.

2)m=hi/ho=-di/do
-0.30=hi/ho=di/do
-0.30=di/2di
-0.30=1/2
di=-2
1/f=1/do+1/di
1/f=1/2+1/-2
1/f=1/2-1/2
1/f=0
f=infinity which isn't right.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems systematically and use the appropriate equations to solve them. In this case, we can use the equations provided to find the solution to these questions.

For the first question, we can use the formula 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the distance of the object from the mirror, and di is the distance of the image from the mirror. We are given that the focal length is 5.0cm and we want the image to be half the size of the object, so we can set m (the magnification) to be 1/2. This gives us the equation 1/5 = 1/do + 1/(1/2)do. Solving for do, we get do = 15cm, which is the correct answer.

For the second question, we can use the formula m = hi/ho = -di/do, where m is the magnification, hi is the height of the image, ho is the height of the object, di is the distance of the image from the mirror, and do is the distance of the object from the mirror. We are given that the object is placed 2.0cm beyond the center of curvature, so do = 2.0cm. Also, m = 0.30, so we can set this equal to -di/2.0. Solving for di, we get di = -1.7cm, which is the correct answer.

Overall, it is important to carefully read the given information and use the appropriate equations to solve the problem. It is also helpful to double check your calculations to ensure the correct answer is obtained.

Related to How Far Should an Object Be Placed from a Concave Mirror to Halve Its Size?

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons and has properties of both waves and particles.

2. How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. It can travel through a vacuum or through transparent materials such as air, water, and glass.

3. How do mirrors work?

Mirrors work by reflecting light. When light hits a smooth surface, such as a mirror, it bounces off at the same angle at which it hit the surface. This creates a reflection of the objects in front of the mirror.

4. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which light hits a surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which light bounces off the surface). This means that the incoming and outgoing light rays will be at the same angle with respect to the surface.

5. Why do some mirrors distort images?

Some mirrors may distort images due to imperfections in the surface. This can be caused by manufacturing defects or damage to the mirror. Additionally, curved mirrors, such as concave and convex mirrors, can also distort images due to the way they reflect light.