How Far Must a Skier Travel to Reach 56 m/s on a 30° Slope?

• Thread starter 7at1blow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the skier reaches a speed of 56 m/s on a 30° slope with no friction. The minimum distance the skier would have to travel when starting from rest is approximately 320 meters. The weight of the skier in the x direction is 98.1N and in the y direction is 85.0N. The acceleration of the skier in the x direction is 4.91 m/s2. However, it is not necessary to assume a mass of 10kg and the weight in the y direction should be 85.0N. Also, it would be helpful to include units in the final answer. Overall, the approach to the problem was correct and with practice, further improvement
7at1blow

Homework Statement

A skier reaches a speed of 56 m/s on a 30° slope w/ no friction. What is the minimum distance the skier would have to travel if starting from rest.

Homework Equations

Vf2 = Vi2 +2(a)(Δd)

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope no one will scoff too hard, this is my first physics class. I made up a mass of 10kg and calculated the weight in x direction with Wx = W(sin(30))= 98.1N, normal force in x is zero.

Then I found weight in y direction with Wy = W(cos(30))= -85.0N

From there I used ƩFx=M(ax) and came out with ax=4.91 m/s2 and came to a final solution of ≈320m after filling in the kin. equation.

I spent over an hour on this and feel like I may have just made up nonsense and then "math'd" it. Could someone kindly check my work and give me some guidance?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations on taking your first physics class! It can be a challenging subject, but with practice and perseverance, you will definitely improve.

Your approach to the problem seems to be in the right direction. Let's go through it step by step:

1. The first thing you did was to calculate the weight of the skier in the x and y directions. This is correct, as we need to consider the forces acting on the skier in both directions.

2. Next, you used the equation ƩFx=M(ax) to find the acceleration of the skier in the x direction. This is also correct, as we know that the only force acting on the skier in the x direction is the component of the weight, and this force is responsible for the acceleration.

3. Finally, you used the kinematic equation Vf2 = Vi2 +2(a)(Δd) to find the distance traveled by the skier. This is also correct, as we know the final velocity (56 m/s), initial velocity (0 m/s), and acceleration (4.91 m/s2) of the skier.

Therefore, your solution of approximately 320m seems to be correct. However, there are a few points that you could improve upon:

1. The mass of the skier is not given in the problem, so you don't need to assume a mass of 10kg. This won't affect your final answer, but it's good to get into the habit of not assuming values that are not given.

2. When finding the weight in the y direction, you used Wy = W(cos(30))= -85.0N. This is not correct. The weight in the y direction is equal to the normal force, which is perpendicular to the slope. Therefore, the weight in the y direction should be equal to W(cos(30))= 85.0N.

3. Lastly, it would be good to mention the units in your final answer. Since you used meters for distance and seconds for time, the unit for acceleration would be m/s2, and the unit for final answer would be meters.

Overall, your approach to the problem was good, and you arrived at the correct answer. Keep practicing and you will definitely improve. Good luck!

Related to How Far Must a Skier Travel to Reach 56 m/s on a 30° Slope?

What is Basic Kinematic?

Basic Kinematic is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is Distance in Kinematic?

Distance is the measurement of how far an object has travelled. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction.

How do you calculate distance using Basic Kinematic?

The formula for calculating distance using Basic Kinematic is: distance = initial velocity x time + (1/2) x acceleration x time squared. Make sure to use consistent units when plugging in values.

What is the difference between distance and displacement in Kinematic?

Distance is the total length of the path an object has travelled, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending point of an object's motion. Displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

Can Kinematic equations be used for any type of motion?

No, Kinematic equations can only be used for objects that move with constant acceleration. If the acceleration is not constant, other equations or methods must be used to calculate distance.