How Far Must a Key Be Depressed to Detect a Change in Capacitance in a Keyboard?

• Thread starter imationrouter03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary: Thank you for viewing this problem, hope you can help me. In summary, when you depress a key on a keyboard, the circuitry detects the decrease in capacitance and calculates the DeltaC.
imationrouter03
Thank you for viewing this problem, hope u can help me.

In one type of computer keyboard, each key holds a small metal plate that serves as one plate of a parallel-plate, air-filled capacitor. When the key is depressed, the plate separation decreases and the capacitance increases. Electronic circuitry detects the change in capacitance and thus detects that the key has been pressed. In one particular keyboard, the area of each metal plate is A , and the separation between the plates is "s" before the key is depressed.

If the circuitry can detect a change in capacitance of DeltaC, how far must the key be depressed before the circuitry detects its depression? Use epsilon_0 for the permittivity of free space.

I've tried (epsilon_0*A)/DeltaC but the correct answer involves variable "s"
I've also tried (epsilon_0*A)/(s-Deltas) but the correct answer does not depend on the variable: Deltas
I've ran out of idea.. please ill take any feedback =/

Thanks again for your time and concern

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

The parallel plate capacitor relationship is

[tex]
C = \frac{\epsilon_{0}A}{s}
[/tex]

where A is the crosssectional area and s is the distance between the plates (here of course, we neglect fringing).

When you press a key you decrease s and therefore increase the capacitance, as you correctly mentioned. Supposing the key is depressed a certain distance 'x' so that the new capacitance [tex]C_{new}[/tex] is given by

[tex]
C_{new} = \frac{\epsilon_{0}A}{s-x}
[/tex]

The DeltaC is the difference between [tex]C_{new}[/tex] and [tex]C[/tex], as I understand from your problem. Please clarify all this first...

Also could you consider C as a general function so that

[tex]
dC = \frac{\partial C}{\partial x}dx
[/tex]

I wonder if we could use this approach somehow...

srry for posting this twice, it was my mistake for posting it on the general physics forum.. since it involved homework help.. but w.e it doesn't matter now.. i appreciate ur help.. it won't happen again.

Related to How Far Must a Key Be Depressed to Detect a Change in Capacitance in a Keyboard?

1. What is a Difficulty 5 e/m problem?

A Difficulty 5 e/m problem refers to a type of scientific problem that is considered to be at the highest level of difficulty, typically encountered in the field of electromagnetism. It usually involves complex concepts and requires advanced mathematical and analytical skills to solve.

2. How is a Difficulty 5 e/m problem different from other scientific problems?

A Difficulty 5 e/m problem is different from other scientific problems because it requires a deep understanding of the principles of electromagnetism and the ability to apply them in complex situations. It also often involves multiple steps and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What are some examples of Difficulty 5 e/m problems?

Examples of Difficulty 5 e/m problems may include calculating the magnetic field produced by a moving charged particle, determining the electric potential of a complex system of charges, or analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a non-uniform medium.

4. How do scientists approach Difficulty 5 e/m problems?

Scientists approach Difficulty 5 e/m problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts, and using their knowledge of fundamental principles to solve each part. They also rely on advanced mathematical techniques, such as vector calculus and differential equations, to solve these complex problems.

5. What skills are necessary to solve a Difficulty 5 e/m problem?

Solving a Difficulty 5 e/m problem requires a strong foundation in the principles of electromagnetism, as well as advanced mathematical and analytical skills. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as well as the ability to apply these skills in a systematic and logical manner.