How far is the lens from the slide if the image is virtual?

In summary, the object distance from the lens for a virtual image formed by a converging lens with a focal length of 2.44 cm and an image distance of 13.2 cm is 2.1 cm. The image distance can be found using the thin lens equation.
floridianfisher

Homework Statement

A transparent photographic slide is placed in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 2.44 cm. The lens forms an image of the slide 13.2 cm from the slide.
How far is the lens from the slide if the image is virtual?
nearer possible distance =

Homework Equations

1/p + 1/q = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the distance of the lens from the slide if the image was real by 1/x + 1/(13.2-x) +(1/2.44) and solving for x.
However I assume that since the object is virtual the image is between the slide and lens. So, P= 13.2 + x and q=-x while f=2.44. When I plug this into the thin lens equation the solution is wrong
How is The attempt wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that since the object is virtual the image is between the slide and lens.

This isn't the case in this situation. You have a virtual image 13.2 cm away from the object, and it is formed by a converging lens. This means the object is closer to the lens than the focal point, and the virtual image will appear behind it. So, the image distance is a negative quantity, since it is on the same side of the lens as the object.

Try starting the problem this way. Put the object a distance S away from the lens, where S is shorter than the focal length. After you do this, find the image distance in terms of S, and then use the thins lens equation. See how your answer comes out now. Good Luck!

P.S. I do not know what you mean by "nearer possible distance=". If this is another part of the question, can you elaborate please?

Here is the whole question. I got all of a and the second part of b
(a) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is real? (Enter 'none' in the second box if there is only one answer.)
nearer possible distance = correct check mark cm
further possible distance = correct check mark cm

(b) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is virtual? (Enter 'none' in the second box if there is only one answer.)
nearer possible distance = wrong check mark cm

floridianfisher said:
Here is the whole question. I got all of a and the second part of b
(a) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is real? (Enter 'none' in the second box if there is only one answer.)
nearer possible distance = correct check mark cm

(b) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is virtual? (Enter 'none' in the second box if there is only one answer.)
nearer possible distance = wrong check mark cm

OK, thanks. That helps. Now, when I solved this problem I end up with a quadratic equation at one point. You should end up with two answers for S from this equation.(One may not be physical, remember.) Did you end up in a situation like this?

Last edited:
Okay so I got this diagram
f----------p-------q----lens
distance from the lens to f =2.44cm
distance from lens to p= 13.2+s
distance from lens to q = s
then solving for s I get s= 2.88 cm or s= -11.2cm
Since q is supposed to be negative for virtual images the answer is 11.2 cm?

I get numbers similar to those, 2.1, and -14. I did round a little, but just to be sure, did you remember to make the whole quantity of "p" negative, since it is one the same side of the lens as the object? EDIT: Forgot we were solving for object distance, not image distance, removed error on my part.

Last edited:
I used
1/(13.2+x) + 1/x = 1/2.44 for those answers
I just tried it the way I believe your talking about which is
1/-(13.2+x) +1/x = 1/2.44 and I got -2.1 and -15.3
I am confused though

That negative sign has to be there. It tells you that the image is one the same side of the lens as the object. That is what defines a negative image distance in ray optics.

Now those answers are what I got, more or less. Remember that you solved for S, and S has to be less than the focal length, which is 2.44. So this tells us that the answer must be 2.1 . Now you should be able to find the image distance using S.

I plugged in p= 13.2 +2.1 =15.3 but the answer is wrong?

floridianfisher said:
I plugged in p= 13.2 +2.1 =15.3 but the answer is wrong?

OK. That may very well be the image distance, but I re-read the question, and they are looking for the object distance for the answer. Sorry if I confused you. I thought the final answer was the image distance not the object distance. Somehow I lost track. Try the object distance of 2.1 as the answer.

ok that's I got it. Thanks for your help!

Your welcome. No problem!

Related to How far is the lens from the slide if the image is virtual?

1. How do you determine the distance between the lens and the slide if the image is virtual?

The distance between the lens and the slide can be determined by measuring the distance from the lens to the virtual image formed on the opposite side of the lens. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. Can the distance between the lens and the slide affect the size of the virtual image?

Yes, the distance between the lens and the slide can affect the size of the virtual image. As the distance increases, the virtual image will appear larger, and as the distance decreases, the virtual image will appear smaller.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the distance between the lens and the slide if the image is virtual?

Yes, the formula for calculating the distance between the lens and the slide if the image is virtual is: d = f x (1 + 1/m), where d is the distance between the lens and the slide, f is the focal length of the lens, and m is the magnification of the virtual image.

4. How does the distance between the lens and the slide affect the clarity of the virtual image?

The distance between the lens and the slide does not have a direct effect on the clarity of the virtual image. However, if the distance is too far or too close, it can cause the virtual image to become blurry or distorted.

5. Can the distance between the lens and the slide be adjusted to change the position of the virtual image?

Yes, the distance between the lens and the slide can be adjusted to change the position of the virtual image. Moving the lens closer to the slide will shift the virtual image further away, while moving the lens further away from the slide will shift the virtual image closer.