How Far from the Target Does a Machine Gun Hit 50% of Its Bullets?

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance at which 50% of the bullets fired from a machine gun, which is located 20 meters away from the center of the target, will hit the target. The deviation of the bullets from the center of the target follows a Gaussian distribution, and the problem requires finding the values of σ and μ. The solution involves using the standard normal distribution table and assuming μ=0 to find the value of σ. The final answer is that the gun can be placed at a distance of 0 meters from the target to achieve 50% hits, which is the same distance as its original placement.
diracdelta

Homework Statement

[/B]
While shooting at target, soldier shoots from machine gun fixed in a way so it can rotate only around z axis.
deviation from center of target due to twitching of machine gun is random variable with Gauss distribution.
Deviations are such that inside of 20m from center of target, it hits 80% bullets.
Find the distance, at how long away from center of target does 50% of the bullets end up.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I'm dealing with gauss distribution, I must find σ and μ .
My problem is next. Idea is to integrate some parts and then i get numbers in table.
But what bothers me is next, what does 20 m and unknown distance represents?
What is σ and μ in this very problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
diracdelta said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
While shooting at target, soldier shoots from machine gun fixed in a way so it can rotate only around z axis.
deviation from center of target due to twitching of machine gun is random variable with Gauss distribution.
Deviations are such that inside of 20m from center of target, it hits 80% bullets.
Find the distance, at how long away from center of target does 50% of the bullets end up.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I'm dealing with gauss distribution, I must find σ and μ .
My problem is next. Idea is to integrate some parts and then i get numbers in table.
But what bothers me is next, what does 20 m and unknown distance represents?
What is σ and μ in this very problem?

When the gun is located 20 m from the center of the target, 80% of the bullets fired hit the target. Presumably, if the gun were located closer to the target than 20 m, the percentage of hits would be greater than 80%. If the gun were located say 10 cm away from the target, the percentage of hits would be 99.9999999...%.

What this problem is asking, if the gun were moved back from its original distance of 20 m from the target, how far from the target could the gun be and still have 50% of its shots hit the target.

Likes diracdelta
Ok. I see.
Only idea i have is to find value in which integral of ((20-μ)/σ) gives 80%.
And if I set the same like ((20+x-μ)/σ) = 50%
I still cannot find σ or μ.

Ok, so i consulted with class asistent, he told me that we can freely assume μ=0. Knowing that, here's what I've come up with.

->Draw Gauss distribution.
Since inside 20 meteres probability is 80% i conclude Φ(20/σ) - Φ(-20/σ)=0.8
Due to simetric of problem, left and right flanks outside 80% area are both 0.1 or 10%, so Φ(-20/σ)=0.1 which yields Φ(20/σ)=0.9
(-20/σ)=1.28
σ=15.625

While knowing Φ(x/σ)=0.5
(x/σ)=0
So, x=0.

Do you think this is good?

diracdelta said:
Ok, so i consulted with class asistent, he told me that we can freely assume μ=0. Knowing that, here's what I've come up with.

->Draw Gauss distribution.
Since inside 20 meteres probability is 80% i conclude Φ(20/σ) - Φ(-20/σ)=0.8
Due to simetric of problem, left and right flanks outside 80% area are both 0.1 or 10%, so Φ(-20/σ)=0.1 which yields Φ(20/σ)=0.9
(-20/σ)=1.28
σ=15.625

While knowing Φ(x/σ)=0.5
(x/σ)=0
So, x=0.

Do you think this is good?

Obviously, if the gun stays where it already is, you will obtain 80% hits, and the last time I checked, 50% is still less than 80%, so that remains within the realm of possibility.

However, I think this problem wants you to find out how much farther away from the target than 20 meters can the gun be placed and still obtain 50% hits.

Related to How Far from the Target Does a Machine Gun Hit 50% of Its Bullets?

1. What is a Gauss distribution problem?

A Gauss distribution problem is a statistical problem that involves finding the probability distribution of a set of data points. It is also known as a normal distribution problem, as it follows the bell-shaped curve of the normal distribution.

2. How is a Gauss distribution problem solved?

A Gauss distribution problem is solved by calculating the mean and standard deviation of the data set, and then using a formula to calculate the probability of each data point falling within a certain range around the mean. This is known as the Gaussian function or the probability density function.

3. What are the applications of Gauss distribution?

Gauss distribution has many applications in various fields such as finance, physics, and social sciences. It is used to model and analyze data, predict outcomes, and make decisions based on probabilities.

4. What is the difference between a normal distribution and a Gauss distribution?

The terms normal distribution and Gauss distribution are often used interchangeably, as they both refer to the same bell-shaped curve. However, the term normal distribution is used more commonly in statistics, while the term Gauss distribution is used more often in mathematics.

5. What is the significance of the Gauss distribution in statistics?

The Gauss distribution is significant in statistics because it is a widely used model for many real-world phenomena. It allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about data sets, and its properties make it easier to analyze and interpret data. It is also a fundamental concept in statistical inference and hypothesis testing.