How far from the eyepiece is the image formed by the objective?

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
  • Tags
Can you help?In summary, the conversation discusses a microscope with an eyepiece of focal length 2.50 cm and an objective of focal length 4.60 cm. The eyepiece produces a virtual image at the viewer's near point of 25.0 cm from the eye. The first question asks for the distance from the eyepiece to the image formed by the objective, which is correctly answered as 2.27 cm. The second question asks for the distance from the objective lens to the object being viewed, which is correctly answered as 6.10 cm. The final question asks for the angular magnification, which is calculated using the formula M=-LN/(fo*pe), resulting in an incorrect answer
sona1177

Homework Statement

A microscope has an eyepiece of focal length 2.50 cm and an objective of focal length 4.60 cm. The eyepiece produces a virtual image at the viewer's near point (25.0 cm from the eye).

a) How far from the eyepiece is the image formed by the objective? ANswer: 2.27 cm -This is correct :)
b) If the lenses are 21.0 cm apart, what is the distance from the objective lens to the object being viewed ANswer: 6.10 cm. This is correct :)
c) What is the angular magnification? Answer: -33.3 This is WRONG :(

Here is what I did:
L=(Distance between lens) - (objective focal length) - (eye piece focal length)

so,

L= 21.0-4.60 - 2.50
L=13.9

I know that M=-LN/(objective focal length * object distance from eye piece)
So plugging in L=13.9
N=25
Fo=4.60
pe=2.27 i get -33.3 and not -33.8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have stated my attempt at a solution above. I know that -33.3 is wrong, so I must have made a mistake in my calculation but I'm not sure where.

Related to How far from the eyepiece is the image formed by the objective?

1. How does the distance from the eyepiece affect the image formed by the objective?

The distance from the eyepiece can affect the size, clarity, and orientation of the image formed by the objective. Moving the eyepiece closer or further away can change the magnification of the image, as well as the focus and sharpness.

2. What is the ideal distance from the eyepiece for viewing an image formed by the objective?

The ideal distance from the eyepiece will vary depending on the specific microscope and its magnification settings. However, as a general rule, the distance should be close enough to comfortably view the image without straining your eyes, but not too close that the image becomes distorted or blurry.

3. Can I adjust the distance from the eyepiece while viewing an image formed by the objective?

Yes, most microscopes allow you to adjust the distance from the eyepiece while viewing an image. This can help you find the optimal distance for your eyes and the specific specimen you are observing.

4. Are there any safety concerns when adjusting the distance from the eyepiece?

As with any microscope adjustments, it is important to handle the equipment with care and avoid any sudden movements that could damage the specimen or the microscope. It is also important to avoid getting too close to the objective, as some microscopes may have powerful lenses that can cause eye strain or injury if used incorrectly.

5. How does the distance from the eyepiece affect the overall viewing experience?

The distance from the eyepiece can greatly impact the overall viewing experience, as it can affect the magnification, focus, and clarity of the image. Finding the optimal distance will ensure a comfortable and accurate viewing experience.