How far from camera person should stand?

• Thread starter agentas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, a 35 mm camera with a 50 mm focal length is used to photograph an object 175 cm in height, creating a 30 mm high image. By using the equation m = v/u = i/o and 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, the person should stand 297 cm away from the camera to get the correct image.
agentas

Homework Statement

A 35 mm camera has a lens with a 50 mm focal length. It is used to
photograph an object 175 cm in height, such that the image is 30 mm high.
(a) How far from the camera should the person stand?
Answer is
The person should stand 297 cm away from the camera.

Homework Equations

1/f=1/o+1/i
m=i/o

The Attempt at a Solution

1/50=1/o+1/i
m=30/175=i/o
I really do not know how to relate hight of the person to distance to the camera .please help someone!How to get this answer?297cm?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi agentas! :wink:
agentas said:
A 35 mm camera has a lens with a 50 mm focal length. It is used to
photograph an object 175 cm in height, such that the image is 30 mm high.

m=30/175=i/o

nooo :redface: … 3/175 … look at the units!

Try again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi agentas! :wink:

nooo :redface: … 3/175 … look at the units!

Try again! :smile:

you look yourself. Iam using cm instead of meters.What does not change anything.

agentas said:
you look yourself. Iam using cm instead of meters.

Yes, 3cm/175cm. :smile:

If u is the object distance and v is the image distance, then
m = v/u = i/o.
Now 1/f = 1/u + 1/ v
Multiply by u to both side. you get
u/f = 1 + u/v = 1 + o/i.
Now solve for u.

Uh guys? Zero.

The person should stand close enough to the camera to look through the viewfinder!

Of course, that doesn't say anything about how close the object should be...

:wink:

rl.bhat said:
If u is the object distance and v is the image distance, then
m = v/u = i/o.
Now 1/f = 1/u + 1/ v
Multiply by u to both side. you get
u/f = 1 + u/v = 1 + o/i.
Now solve for u.

thanks I got the right answer :)

Related to How far from camera person should stand?

1. What factors determine the ideal distance for a camera person to stand?

The ideal distance for a camera person to stand is determined by several factors such as the type of camera being used, the size of the subject, the desired shot composition, and the lighting conditions. These factors can vary depending on the specific situation and may require the camera person to adjust their distance accordingly.

2. How does the type of camera affect the distance a camera person should stand?

The type of camera being used can greatly impact the ideal distance for a camera person to stand. For example, a wide-angle lens will require the camera person to stand closer to the subject in order to capture a wider field of view, while a telephoto lens will allow the camera person to stand further back and still capture a close-up shot.

3. Is there a universal rule for how far a camera person should stand?

There is no specific universal rule for how far a camera person should stand, as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, a general guideline is to stand far enough to capture the subject clearly and close enough to avoid any unnecessary background distractions.

4. How does the size of the subject affect the distance a camera person should stand?

The size of the subject can also impact the ideal distance for a camera person to stand. For larger subjects, the camera person may need to stand further back in order to capture the entire subject in the frame. On the other hand, smaller subjects may require the camera person to stand closer in order to capture the necessary detail.

5. Why is it important for a camera person to consider the lighting conditions when determining their distance?

Lighting plays a crucial role in photography and can greatly affect the distance a camera person should stand. In situations with harsh natural lighting, the camera person may need to stand further back to avoid overexposure or glare. In low light conditions, the camera person may need to stand closer to the subject in order to capture enough light and avoid grainy or blurry images.