How Far Does a Particle Travel in an Equilateral Triangle with Mixed Motion?

• Thread starter adk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary: Can you please clarify?The adiacent side of the triangle could be anyone so the vector from the acceleration might be at 60 deg or at 120 deg. The forward motion of 10m/s is not in the same angle direction vector, whatever does it for you, as the acceleration.
adk

Homework Statement

A particle moves from rest and has impressed a uniform velocity of 10 meters per second parallel to one side of an equilateral triangle, and a uniform acceleration of 10 meters/sec2 parallel to an adjacent side of the triangle. Find the distance of the particle from its original position at the end of 5 seconds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi All - My teacher posted this problem but I'm not quite sure how to get going with it. Is this just a distance kinematic problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just that, don't be fooled by particles might have been a pigeon in wind instead.

adk said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves from rest and has impressed a uniform velocity of 10 meters per second parallel to one side of an equilateral triangle, and a uniform acceleration of 10 meters/sec2 parallel to an adjacent side of the triangle. Find the distance of the particle from its original position at the end of 5 seconds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi All - My teacher posted this problem but I'm not quite sure how to get going with it. Is this just a distance kinematic problem?

The question is not fully defined as stated. There are two adjacent sides, so it depends on which one you are talking about. Is there a figure showing the direction of motion and which side they are talking about? Is a coordinate system shown?

I suppose you could just solve it for each of the adjacent sides and both of the initial directions of travel...

no figure or coordinate system was given unfortunately. what do you mean by solve for adjacent sides?
thanks.

adk said:
A particle moves from rest and has impressed a uniform velocity of 10 meters per second parallel to one side of an equilateral triangle, and a uniform acceleration of 10 meters/sec2 parallel to an adjacent side of the triangle.

That doesn't make sense …

how can it have a uniform velocity in one direction, and an acceleration in a non-perpendicular direction? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
That doesn't make sense …

how can it have a uniform velocity in one direction, and an acceleration in a non-perpendicular direction? :confused:

Just like an electron deviated from it;s path by a magnetic field. it has a velocity in one direction at first but the force will accelerate it in another. Just simpler in the problem.

The thing is that there are 2 versions. A 60 deg one and a 120 deg one. Which is it really?

Lok said:
The thing is that there are 2 versions. A 60 deg one and a 120 deg one. Which is it really?

not sure what you mean here - all the information from the question is given. can you start me out on the first step?

You could start a vector diagram with equations vi*t and 0.5at^2, finding the resultant vector when t = 5.

inutard said:
You could start a vector diagram with equations vi*t and 0.5at^2, finding the resultant vector when t = 5.

i solved this equation: (10)(5) + (1/2)(9.81)(5)^2 = 172.625

where does this fit in though - not really sure what i was solving for?

kriegera said:
not sure what you mean here - all the information from the question is given. can you start me out on the first step?

The adiacent side of the triangle could be anyone so the vector from the acceleration might be at 60 deg or at 120 deg. The forward motion of 10m/s is not in the same angle direction vector, whatever does it for you, as the acceleration.

i'm sorry, I'm not following this.

Related to How Far Does a Particle Travel in an Equilateral Triangle with Mixed Motion?

1. What is the formula for finding the distance around a triangle?

The formula for finding the distance around a triangle is the sum of the lengths of all three sides of the triangle. This can be represented as: Perimeter = Side 1 + Side 2 + Side 3.

2. How do you calculate the perimeter of a triangle with given side lengths?

To calculate the perimeter of a triangle with given side lengths, simply add the lengths of all three sides together. For example, if the sides are 5cm, 6cm, and 7cm, the perimeter would be 5 + 6 + 7 = 18cm.

3. Can the distance around a triangle ever be negative?

No, the distance around a triangle cannot be negative. Distance is a measure of length and cannot have a negative value.

4. Does the shape of a triangle affect the distance around it?

Yes, the shape of a triangle can affect the distance around it. Triangles with longer sides will have a larger perimeter than triangles with shorter sides, even if they have the same number of sides.

5. Can the distance around a triangle be greater than the sum of its sides?

No, the distance around a triangle cannot be greater than the sum of its sides. This is because the distance around a triangle is simply the sum of its sides, so it cannot exceed that value.