How far could I kick a bus if I were a Mantis Shrimp?

• Thread starter hamsterama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus
In summary, the conversation is about trying to find an analogy to demonstrate the force generated by a Mantis Shrimp's claw to a group of ten year olds. The conversation includes calculations and discussions about the weight and force of an 8-tonne double-decker bus, the acceleration rate of the shrimp's kick, and the distance the bus would travel if kicked at a 45-degree angle. The conversation ends with the individual thanking everyone for their help and mentioning that they will recommend this forum to others.
hamsterama
How far could I kick a bus if I were a Mantis Shrimp?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. Strange title I know, but I am trying to come up with an analogy to demonstrate the force generated by the strike of a Mantis Shrimp's claw to explain it to a group of ten year olds. In theory, how far could a human of say 65kg kick an 8 tonne Double-decker bus, both vertically and/or horizontally? I do not need an absolutely accurate result, just an appoximation.

Force generated at point of strike is a whopping 10 400 g

Weight of double decker bus = 8000kg

Speed of strike is 23m/s/s

Do I need any other stats? please let me know.

If anyone could help I would be very grateful.
Although an enthusiastic amateur, I am no physicist, just a humble artist.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ITS good to see you ..be enthusiastic but this ques is pretty simple...

wt=8000kg

force = 10.4 kg

wt= mass*g
>>mass=wt/g>>8000/9.8=816.32 kg

now force = mass*accln
>>accln=force/mass

>>accln=101920/816.32=124.85m/s^2

Thanks Physixguru for your prompt reply, although I think I may have misled with my notation :
the g-force is 10 400 g

So, just one more q: now I have the acceleration rate, how do I work out the actual distance? Or am I just being dim...

if s= ut + 1/2 at^2

I have the initial velocity (0)
but not the time t (although the time of a Mantis Shrimps 'kick' would be less than 1 second) or the final velocity v can I still work it out?

Thanks for your patience

Last edited:
u can still work it out using the general kinematics equations...
but if speed of kick is wat u want to emphasise on ..then...impulse factor would come into play...

Once the bus leaves the leg of the enlarged shrimp it will follow a parabolic path. The maximum range will be achieved it is kicked at an angle of fourty five degrees upwards. The range it will then achieve depends on its velocity as it leaves the foot of the shrimp. Now the kick executed by the foot of the shrimp accelerates the bus during the kick. This means that the speed of the bus will increase during the kick. What one therefore need to know is the duration or the distance of the kick in order to determine the launching speed of the bus as it leaves the foot of the shrimp.

Last edited:
So Long & Thanks For All The Shrimp

Thanks to every one who replied to my query - and sorry that I haven't replied earlier.
As part of a small design team I had to come up with an educational interactive demonstration of the power of a mantis shrimp.
Thanks to you all, we've been able to work out an analogous model of the shrimp & the double-decker bus, and it's being built at the moment - ready for public display in the summer.

I have recommended Physics Forum to many friends and colleagues, and I hope to pick your brains again soon ( not in a cannibalistic way )

Related to How far could I kick a bus if I were a Mantis Shrimp?

1. How strong is a Mantis Shrimp's kick?

A Mantis Shrimp's kick is extremely powerful, capable of reaching speeds of up to 75 feet per second. This is due to the structure of their club-like appendages, which are spring-loaded and can release energy quickly and forcefully.

2. How far could a Mantis Shrimp kick something?

The strength of a Mantis Shrimp's kick allows them to propel objects, such as their prey, at great distances. The average distance a Mantis Shrimp can kick an object is around 5 feet, but they have been known to kick objects up to 10 feet away.

3. Could a Mantis Shrimp kick a bus?

While a Mantis Shrimp's kick is incredibly powerful, it is unlikely that they could kick a bus. Their kicks are most effective on small, lightweight objects, and a bus is far too heavy and large for them to move with their kick alone.

4. Can a Mantis Shrimp's kick break through glass or other hard materials?

Yes, a Mantis Shrimp's kick is strong enough to break through glass or other hard materials. They have been observed breaking through the walls of aquarium tanks with their kicks, which can exert force equivalent to a .22 caliber bullet.

5. Are there any other animals with kicks as strong as a Mantis Shrimp?

Yes, the Mantis Shrimp is not the only animal with a powerful kick. Other animals, such as the trap-jaw ant and the pistol shrimp, also have incredibly strong kicks that allow them to capture prey or defend themselves.