How Far Can a Jetliner Travel West Against a Jet Stream and Return Safely?

• Thread starter confounded
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stream
In summary: I was getting really frustrated with this and I feel like I'm actually starting to understand it now.
confounded

Homework Statement

A jetliner can fly 7.35 hours on a full load of fuel. Without any wind it flies at a speed of 3.42 x 10^2 m/s. The plane is to make a round-trip by heading due west for a certain distance, turning around, and then heading due east for the return trip. During the entire flight, however, the plane encounters a 43.3-m/s wind from the jet stream, which blows from west to east. What is the maximum distance (in kilometers) that the plane can travel due west and just be able to return home?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this: d/s + d/s = overall time and... probably something else?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I assumed because the jet stream is traveling in the same direction as the plane in both directions (west and east) that 43.3 m/s would be added to 3.42 x 10^2 m/s for the speed of the plane going to and coming back. I also converted 7.35 hours to seconds. So I ended up with distance traveled west/385.3 + distance traveled east/385.3= 26,460 s. Afterward, I ended up with distance traveled west=10,195,038m-distance traveled east. Now I'm just completely lost/confused. I just started taking physics last week, so I'm pretty new at this and I probably did everything wrong. Please help! :frown:

(P.S. Should I make the distance traveled east negative, since it's going in the opposite direction?)

Physics news on Phys.org
confounded said:

Homework Statement

A jetliner can fly 7.35 hours on a full load of fuel. Without any wind it flies at a speed of 3.42 x 10^2 m/s. The plane is to make a round-trip by heading due west for a certain distance, turning around, and then heading due east for the return trip. During the entire flight, however, the plane encounters a 43.3-m/s wind from the jet stream, which blows from west to east. What is the maximum distance (in kilometers) that the plane can travel due west and just be able to return home?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this: d/s + d/s = overall time and... probably something else?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I assumed because the jet stream is traveling in the same direction as the plane in both directions (west and east) that 43.3 m/s would be added to 3.42 x 10^2 m/s for the speed of the plane going to and coming back.
Where did you get the idea that "the jet stream is traveling in the same direction as the plane in both directions"? The problem itself tells you that the jet stream "blows from west to east, while the airplane is flying, first, from east to west and then from west to east.

I also converted 7.35 hours to seconds. So I ended up with distance traveled west/385.3 + distance traveled east/385.3= 26,460 s. Afterward, I ended up with distance traveled west=10,195,038m-distance traveled east. Now I'm just completely lost/confused. I just started taking physics last week, so I'm pretty new at this and I probably did everything wrong. Please help! :frown:

(P.S. Should I make the distance traveled east negative, since it's going in the opposite direction?)
You are wrong to assume you should always add the speed of the jet stream. Going West the jet stream is opposing flight and must be subtracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
confounded said:
Where did you get the idea that "the jet stream is traveling in the same direction as the plane in both directions"? The problem itself tells you that the jet stream "blows from west to east, while the airplane is flying, first, from east to west and then from west to east.

You are wrong to assume you should always add the speed of the jet stream. Going West the jet stream is opposing flight and must be subtracted.

Okay, I was thinking that the jet stream blew west, and THEN blew east...for some reason. Excuse me. So, (I mean...I'm guessing I set up my equation correctly...) it's distance traveled west/385.3 + distance traveled east/298.7 = 26,460s ? Then I solve for distance traveled west?

Yes, and since you know "distance traveled west"= "distance traveled east" that should be easy.

(Unfortunately, the jet stream isn't accomodating enough to change directions with the airplane!)

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, and since you know "distance traveled west"= "distance traveled east" that should be easy.

(Unfortunately, the jet stream isn't accomodating enough to change directions with the airplane!)

Okay, thank you so much!

Related to How Far Can a Jetliner Travel West Against a Jet Stream and Return Safely?

1. What is an airplane/jet stream problem?

An airplane/jet stream problem refers to a situation where an aircraft encounters unexpected turbulence or changes in airspeed due to the presence of strong air currents known as jet streams. These high-altitude winds can impact the flight path and stability of an aircraft, causing discomfort for passengers and potential safety concerns.

2. How do jet streams affect airplane travel?

Jet streams can have both positive and negative effects on airplane travel. On one hand, they can provide a tailwind that helps planes travel faster and more efficiently, reducing fuel consumption and flight time. However, strong and unpredictable jet streams can also cause bumpy rides and require pilots to make adjustments to their flight paths, potentially leading to delays and discomfort for passengers.

3. What causes jet streams?

Jet streams are caused by differences in temperature and air pressure in the Earth's atmosphere. They are typically found in the upper levels of the troposphere, between 20,000 and 50,000 feet above ground, and are formed by the interaction of warm and cold air masses. They are strongest in the winter months when there is a greater contrast between warm and cold air, and tend to be weaker in the summer.

4. Can jet streams be predicted?

Yes, jet streams can be predicted to some extent. Meteorologists use weather models and data from satellites and aircraft to track and forecast the location and strength of jet streams. However, they can be difficult to predict accurately due to their constantly changing nature. Pilots also receive real-time updates on jet streams during flights, allowing them to make necessary adjustments.

5. Are jet streams dangerous for airplanes?

Jet streams can pose some risks for airplanes, particularly if they are stronger than expected or if pilots are not properly prepared. In extreme cases, strong jet streams can cause damage to an aircraft or impact its ability to maintain a stable flight. However, with proper planning and monitoring, pilots can safely navigate through most jet stream conditions. Airlines and pilots also have protocols in place to avoid particularly strong or dangerous jet streams.