How far away must the plane be for the antiaircraft gun to hit it?

In summary, the question asks for the horizontal distance (x) at which the enemy plane must be from the gun when it fires in order for the shell to hit the plane. By considering the motion of the plane and using the equations for horizontal and vertical motion, a solution of x = 1228 m is found.
pingpong240
Here's the question:
An antiaircraft gun fires shells at 200 m/s at a 60° angle. An enemy plane flies directly toward the gun at 300 m/s, 495 m off the ground. How far away (horizontally) must the plane be when the gun fires for the shell to hit the plane?

First off, I know I get two solutions here. I believe it's because of the trajectory of the shell as it hits the plane on the way up or on the way down.
Knowns
v_ix = 200cos(60) = 100
v_iy = 200sin(60)
a_x = 0
a_y = -9.81
y=485 m
Unknowns
x
v_fy
v_fx
t
Equations
y_f = y_i + v_iy * t + .5at^2
x_f = x_i + v_ix * t + .5at2

I'm not sure if I really have to take into account the -300 m/s of the plane, but here's what I've tried so far:
I used the above equation for the y direction to get
485 = 200sin(60)t -4.9t^2
0 = -4.9t^2 + 200sin(60)t-485
I used the quadratic equation to get two times, 3.066 s and 32.2819 s. I tried fitting these into the x direction equation above, but no luck. I may have done something wrong up to this point, but I think that where I go next is where my problems are occurring. I ended up getting 306.61 for the first distance and 3228 for the second, obviously nothing there. Please help me with the rest of the problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets call the horizontal distance, that the plane has to be away, x.

Consider the plane moving left to right, the distance at impact from the gunner will be: x1

x1=x-t*(300m/s)

Meanwhile the shell must have traversed horizontally in the opposite direction,
x1=cos(60)*(200m/s)*t. setting the two eqns equal,
x-t(300)=100(t) so x=400(t)

we also need as you discussed,
a time where the altitude is 485. assuming your work is right we get
x=400*(3.07) =1228.

That help?

Last edited:
Ok so I should factor in the motion of the plane. I tried using that as an answer but it isn't coming out right either. I think my work is right up to this point...Well, if anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to help out. Shouldn't I consider the plane moving right to left, as if it was moving back to the origin? I have kind of approached this problem that way from the start, as I have designated the gunner at the origin.

Last edited:
the answer I gave you checks out, what answer are you entering?

distance plane flies: 3.07*300m/s=921m
distance shell flies 3.07*100=307m, sum of two is 921+307=1228
shell is at 485 m at 3.07s. plane is at 485m (constant)

I'm entering that answer, 1228. I tried entering it more exact, but that doesn't work either. Everything before that seems right doesn't it? Hmm nevermind I think I might have it...I just noticed a very stupid mistake, the vertical distance is 495, not 485.

Last edited:
Yeah that was the problem. My mistake, you were doing everything right, I'm sorry for making it confusing in the first post with differing quantities for the height. Thank you very much for your help, I understand how to do these types of problems now.

no sweat, I should have caught that myself.

Related to How far away must the plane be for the antiaircraft gun to hit it?

What is 2-D kinematics problem?

2-D kinematics problem involves analyzing the motion of an object in two dimensions, typically represented by the x-axis and y-axis. This includes determining the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

What are the equations used in 2-D kinematics problem?

The most commonly used equations in 2-D kinematics problem include the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration in both x and y directions. These equations can be derived from the basic equations of motion and include components for time, initial velocity, and acceleration due to gravity.

How do you solve a 2-D kinematics problem?

To solve a 2-D kinematics problem, you will need to identify the given information, including the initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, you can use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns. It is important to pay attention to the directions and signs of the values to ensure accurate calculations.

What are some common mistakes when solving 2-D kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving 2-D kinematics problems include forgetting to account for the direction of motion, mixing up the x and y components, and not using the correct equations. It is also important to use consistent units and pay attention to any assumptions made in the problem.

How is 2-D kinematics used in real life?

2-D kinematics is used in many real-life scenarios, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the motion of objects in sports, and analyzing the movement of vehicles. It is also used in engineering and physics to design structures and machines that move in two dimensions.