How Far Away Did the Earthquake Occur Based on Wave Time Delay?

• Thread starter Saifz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, earthquakes produce P-waves and S-waves that travel at different speeds. The time delay between these waves can be used to determine the distance from the earthquake to a seismic station, with a time delay of 15 seconds indicating a distance of 236.6 km.
Saifz
:!)

Earthquakes produce several types of shock waves. The most well-known are the P-waves and the S-waves. In the earth’s crust, the P-waves travel around 6.9 km/s while the S-waves move at about 4.8 km/s. The time delay between the arrival of these two waves at a seismic recording station tells geologists how far away the earthquake occurred. If the time delay is 15 s, how far away from the seismic station did the earthquake occur?

Give your answer in kilometers to the first decimal place.

Correct Answer

I got the correct answer but I don't know how to get it... can someone explain pleaaze? :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the answer but you don't know how you got the answer? Please explain that! Then you might get some help. :)

I got it because its an online quiz that tells you the answer after you finish..

but anyway, i am done with it... i solved it myself, thanks anyway

Related to How Far Away Did the Earthquake Occur Based on Wave Time Delay?

1. What is a relevant velocity problem?

A relevant velocity problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of an object in a specific situation. It usually includes information about the initial velocity, acceleration, and time elapsed.

2. How do I solve a relevant velocity problem?

To solve a relevant velocity problem, you need to use the relevant equations and principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the kinematic equations. It is important to clearly identify the given variables and use the appropriate formula to calculate the unknown velocity.

3. What are some common examples of relevant velocity problems?

Common examples of relevant velocity problems include calculating the velocity of a car after a certain amount of time, finding the velocity of a ball thrown in the air, or determining the velocity of a rocket during launch.

4. What are some tips for solving relevant velocity problems?

Some tips for solving relevant velocity problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the situation, using the correct units for all variables, and checking your answer to ensure it is reasonable. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the velocity, as it can be positive or negative depending on the situation.

5. How can I apply relevant velocity problems in real life?

Relevant velocity problems are commonly used in many real-life situations, such as sports, driving, and space exploration. For example, understanding the velocity of a baseball can help a player catch it, or knowing the velocity of a car can help a driver make safe and efficient decisions on the road.