How exactly does a LWR/MSR start

• Thread starter Kidphysics
  • Start date
In summary, nuclear reactors are started by adding positive reactivity, typically by withdrawing control rods (PWR's can be started by diluting the soluble boron concentration). This is achieved by lifting the control rods which allows the reactor to continue the reaction. The control rods are not put in place during the manufacturing of the fuel rods. In liquid fuel reactors, criticality is achieved by flowing through a channel surrounded by a moderator. Source neutrons are used for detection, but they are not what actually starts the reactor. Startup sources, such as (α, n) reactions, are used to provide a signal to the detectors during startup.
Kidphysics
How exactly does a LWR/MSR "start"

So I believe there were a source of neutrons in a LWR, something about a possibly decaying piece of Plutonium that would start the reaction?

As for MSR it seems like there is dissolved fuel (thorium, uranium) in a salt bath which is just dumped into one large vat... and then graphite moderators which act as fuel rods?? I am somewhat clueless even with wikipedia at bay.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Kidphysics said:
So I believe there were a source of neutrons in a LWR, something about a possibly decaying piece of Plutonium that would start the reaction?

As for MSR it seems like there is dissolved fuel (thorium, uranium) in a salt bath which is just dumped into one large vat... and then graphite moderators which act as fuel rods?? I am somewhat clueless even with wikipedia at bay.

For the first reactor startup in an LWR, spontaneous decays can start the reactor, however typically neutron sources are inserted into the core (I believe AM-241 or some Cf isotope). This boosts the number of neutrons in the core to detectable levels so that operators can see the reactor go critical on their instruments, otherwise the core could go critical before its even on scale with their instruments.

After the first startup, provided the reactor hasn't been in a long extended shutdown, the neutrons which are emitted by the waste products are sufficient to restart the reactor.

Hiddencamper said:
For the first reactor startup in an LWR, spontaneous decays can start the reactor, however typically neutron sources are inserted into the core (I believe AM-241 or some Cf isotope). This boosts the number of neutrons in the core to detectable levels so that operators can see the reactor go critical on their instruments, otherwise the core could go critical before its even on scale with their instruments.

Cool, thanks for the reply. Scary to think spontaneous decays can start some reactions..

Hiddencamper said:
After the first startup, provided the reactor hasn't been in a long extended shutdown, the neutrons which are emitted by the waste products are sufficient to restart the reactor.

Is this answering the MSR question?

Kidphysics said:
Cool, thanks for the reply. Scary to think spontaneous decays can start some reactions..

Is this answering the MSR question?

Both were the LWR question.

well thank you! I hopefully someone will be able to answer the MSR question!

Kidphysics said:

Hiddencamper said:

Kidphysics said:

These statements are incorrect. Spontaneous decays do not start or stop reactors. Source neutrons do not affect criticality. Source neutrons only allow criticality to be more easily measured through subcritical multiplication. Nuclear reactors are started by adding positive reactivity, typically by withdrawing control rods (PWR's can be started by diluting the soluble boron concentration).

QuantumPion said:
These statements are incorrect. Spontaneous decays do not start or stop reactors. Source neutrons do not affect criticality. Source neutrons only allow criticality to be more easily measured through subcritical multiplication. Nuclear reactors are started by adding positive reactivity, typically by withdrawing control rods (PWR's can be started by diluting the soluble boron concentration).

I understand by lifting the control rods the neutrons are able to continue the reaction does this mean the control rods are put in place during the manufacturing of the bundles of fuel rods?

Kidphysics said:
I understand by lifting the control rods the neutrons are able to continue the reaction does this mean the control rods are put in place during the manufacturing of the bundles of fuel rods?

No. Reactor fuel is manufactured in the absence of moderating materials and in discrete quantities which are less than a critical mass. Careful manufacturing process controls are in place to prevent accidentally creating a critical configuration. Such accidents have happened in the past.

To answer your question about MSR's, the way liquid fuel reactors achieve criticality is by flowing through a channel which is surrounded by a moderator. In this case the reactor would be started up or shut down by moving control rods in between the fuel and graphite moderator.

QuantumPion said:

You're adding reactivity by removing control rods, but at the same time, where do the original neutrons come from? (This might be an interesting question in and of itself).

And I believe I said that the source neutrons are used for detection...

Likes Astronuc
Hiddencamper said:
You're adding reactivity by removing control rods, but at the same time, where do the original neutrons come from? (This might be an interesting question in and of itself).

And I believe I said that the source neutrons are used for detection...

While your statement on its own is accurate, the OP specifically asked how a reactor starts and your explanation was somewhat misleading. It's true that you need source neutrons to be able to see how much reactivity you are adding but they are not what actually starts the reactor.

The source neutrons provide a 'signal' to the detectors. In a fresh core, or one with low burnup fuel, startup sources are required. The startup sources use an (α, n), (γ, n) or spontaneous fission. In the past, (α, n) neutron reactions from Am-Be were common. In modern systems, Cf-252 (spontaneous fission) is used as a primary source, while Sb-Be (γ, n) is used as a secondary source. The Sb-123 absorbs a neutron and becomes Sb-124, which then decays to Te-124m which emits a 1.69 MeV gamma. Once a core has some high burnup fuel, usually located near the neutron detectors, spontaneous fissions from TU isotopes may be used for 'sourceless' startup.

The startup neutron source allows the operators to monitor the state of the core, using the core as a neutron multiplier. Positive reactivity is added, or rather negative reactivity removed, by removal of control rods, and in the case of PWRs, dilution of soluble boron in conjuction with control rod withdrawal.

Well as far as my first question goes in about three days I have received three great answers and I have enough information to be content. Thanks to everyone who replied.

For some reason my brain was not functioning while reading about MSR's and now I do understand how criticality is reached.

Related to How exactly does a LWR/MSR start

1. How does a LWR/MSR start?

A LWR/MSR (Light Water Reactor/Molten Salt Reactor) starts by introducing a neutron source to a nuclear fuel, such as uranium or thorium, which triggers a chain reaction. The chain reaction produces heat, which is then used to create steam and generate electricity.

2. What is the difference between a LWR and a MSR?

The main difference between a LWR and a MSR is the type of coolant used. LWRs use water as a coolant, while MSRs use a molten salt mixture. This difference in coolant also affects the design and operation of the reactors.

3. How is the nuclear reaction controlled in a LWR/MSR?

In a LWR, the nuclear reaction is controlled by control rods, which absorb neutrons and slow down the reaction. In a MSR, the nuclear reaction is controlled by adjusting the flow of the molten salt mixture, which can either increase or decrease the rate of the reaction.

4. What happens if a LWR/MSR is shut down?

If a LWR/MSR is shut down, the nuclear reaction stops and the reactor cools down. In a LWR, the control rods are inserted to absorb any remaining neutrons. In a MSR, the flow of the molten salt is stopped, preventing the reaction from continuing.

5. How is the heat generated in a LWR/MSR used to produce electricity?

The heat generated in a LWR/MSR is used to create steam, which then drives turbines to generate electricity. The steam is produced by circulating water through the reactor core, where the heat from the nuclear reaction is transferred to the water.